starting out

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
hello chaps i would like some advice on whether this is any good a leeda rimfly corvette 9 ft 6|7 rod with rimfly cartridge reel + spool,fly line ,backing +braided loop, or the leeda concept at 7|8 matching as above.the price is 49 pounds .what is the differance between the two and will the leaders be off a decent quality,dont want to then have to shell out another 20 for better quality ones,which would be the best all round rod.please advise thanks.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

The Leeda Rimfly rod goes back to the days before British Fly reels (BFR) was purchased by Orvis.

They were not bad rods If I remember.

I think the Rimfly is still made but under a different name. For 49 quid it's not a bad buy. The 7/8 rod will have more power than the 6/7.

But if you want to fish small streams, both rods are much too powerful. You want something like a 4/5 weight at about 8 foot long.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
the thing is ron i would like to try the day ticket lakes occasionally,what would you suggest.can i not get one that would do both.thanks

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

It depends on the size of your day ticket lakes. I have fished small lakes very successfully with 5 weight outfits.

But if you are fishing a small river, you might find a 6 weight outfit just too overgunned. You might get away with it of course. But in time you will buy a lightweight outfit for small rivers.

It's far more enjoyable.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Thanks for advice ron,on the leader front,im not sure what comes with it,but if you could have just one leader which would you pick thanks gav.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Ron is that the hooklength,your talking about,sorry i mean the the line thats weighted to cast ie sinking floating.i am really new to this ron thanks.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

No, it's the leader. We don't call it a hook-length although in fly fishing terminology this is basically what it is.

Often we use a knotless tapered leader with a short length of "tippet" at the end which carries the fly.

If you are really keen to get started at fly fishing I would suggest you get a book on the basics. There is a lot of new terminology you are going to have to learn. My suggestion is to phone "Trout Fisherman" , a magazine produced by Emap, the same company that produce Angling Times. I am sure they will recommend a suitable book, but they will also suggest that you have a few lessons with an APGAI instructor.

Seriously, this is money very well spent.

Sessions cost about ?35 an hour.

The main difference between fly fishing and general coarse fishing is that you will enjoy fly fishing a hell of a lot more when you can cast well. It's a bit like golf in a way. This is the main hurdle the newcomer to fly fishing has to overcome.

Casting a fly is totally different to casting a float, feeder, lure or leger. You are not actually casting the fly at all, you are casting the line, the fly goes along for the ride.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
think your right about the book ,ive read so many since i was a kid,ill try the library im sure they have a video on fly fishing will this help with casting.I am going to purchase the rim fly at 9 foot because its all there,cant find any thing in that price range in a 4|5 size,And that is all i have to spend.many thanks ron.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
has any one heard of cabelas of america,are they reputable.because they have a three forks rod at 8 foot 6,and pflueger medalist reel with light weight forward fly line+backing and leader for 75$ plus 20%shipping charge around 50 pound in all i think.is their a duty charge on that or not please help thanks.Is this gear good quality for the price.

johnnyowl

Reaction score
Moved over to the USA several years ago and when i walk into a tackle shop and ask about ground bait they look at me all funny. Does anyone know any good GB mixes. I want to give it a crack over here and try and pull out some monster catfish

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Hello johnny take it your a wednesday fan,I dont think they do gb over your side mate but I could be wrong,maybe mashed up fish mixed with bread could be worth a try,sorry not sure about it to be honest .Try starting your own thread that might get a better response good luck anyway .