MASSIVE BREAM!!

• Thread starter BAZ (Angel of the North)
  • Start date
B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

What do you say to an angler who only gets out three or four times a year, and lands one of the biggest Bream on record? 19lb 12 oz (This weeks A.T)
Is it, great fish mate, or well done?
Whatever it will surely go on the Big Bream record list.

Should he have served an apprenticeship and blanked for six months before making that magnificent capture? And does this capture make him a specimen angler?
It just doesn't seem right that he can go out and catch a fish of this quality without hardly trying does it?

I'm not envious I'm really not.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Spose thats half the fun of angling. You never know what you will catch. But if your fishing a water with big fish in, no matter how little you get out there will always be a chance.

Great fish whatever though!

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I suppose that's right Christian, but you talk to any Big Bream angler and they will tell you it's a whole different ball game mate. And it is.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Two years ago I belonged to a club with some nice little lakes (max 4 acres each). One had some big bream, probably about 20-25 fish with a few going well into double figures.

I fished for them a lot, morning, noon and night and put in many hours over several spring and summer months. Best fish 7lbs+. Very nice but very frustrating as you could see the really big slabs among the shoal.

Took a mate there and had a superb 9lb 14oz (just wouldn't nudge the needle past 10lb!). But 1 hour into this his first trip he had bream of 11lb 6oz and 12lb 2oz!!! I've never seen such huge bream before.

He is a very good angler and knows what he's about. But, come on, his first trip to the venue and he cracked it!

Me jealous? Too damn right.

E

EC

I defy anyone not to feel a pang of envy if they had put serious amounts of time and effort in without a result, then see a beginner do that! BUT, that is the very essence of what makes angling great and it could happen to any of us!

In short, if you've got a line in the water the fish do not discriminate, there's always a chance!

Or as my old mum used to say

"Yer'll catch nowt sat in the 'ouse lad!"

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
i caught a huge bream when i was a kid from glan gwna north wales never weighed it but a couple of chaps said it was easy 10 pounds,it was a proper bin lid fond memories,caught on my dam 10 foot match rod from argos,you couldnt make it up baz could you ,honest.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
It happens occasionally. You just have to be lucky. I once camped out at a venue at one end of a lake where the wind had been blowing for a week previously, having listened to the advice of the great and good, who convinced me that was my best chance of a 20lb plus carp.
Result? Two Carp of 7 and 9lbs in 48 hours.
On the second day a bloke who admitted he was fishing for the first time that year ( it was July )fell out of his car and set up his deckchair, a 10ft rod , tip up in the air with a bunch of maggots on the hook, in 2ft of water just a few feet from the bank. In the middle of the afternoon he caught a 23lbs Mirror. I have to say I was gutted!

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I had a 13lb Bream robbed from under my feet this year. The area that I was going to fish was taken by somebody who shouldn't even have been there. Hopefully I will have one or two next season.

P

Phil Hackett The ostrich pie hater

As Christian says that's the way the mop flops sometimes. The skill would be for that angler to repeat the capture of different fish time and time again.
He may never, ever have another bream over 10 lbs, even if he fished the same swim for the rest of his life.

Yes I have some pangs of envy of the guy after fishing for big bream for over 35 years, but congratulations to the guy on possible the second or third biggest bream ever to come out in the UK.

Fill yah boots lad, and don't let anyone decry the scale of your achievement!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I have not seen the article but just because an angler fishes 3 or 4 times a year does not mean he is automatically a beginner or a novice.If I totted up the full days fishing I had in a year it might amount to about 12.This does not mean I am beginner just frustrated!

Given those time constraints, I try to fish when the conditions are right for my chosen quarry.I am taking a days holiday for example tomorrow as I know the Avon will be just fining down and the temperatures will be mild.Hopefully perfect for Roach.I might fish for them 3 or 4 times a year but if I get a few, or even just one, will it be lucky? I do not see much merit in flogging away when the conditions are against you just so you can say you have put the time in and therfore somehow deserved success?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

He wasn't a beginer Nigel. He had a few double figure Bream in the past. It is that he had only been fishing three times this year.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

It certainly makes you think though doesn't it?
You can do all the preperation and planning in the world, but you have to be on the spot.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
An angler, no matter how experienced he is, cannot dictate the size of fish he catches, he may catch more fish than a casual or novice angler but he only has the same chance of catching one of the big daddies.

Its like the lottery, some are winners but most are losers.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Not sure I fully agree with that Garahm.One to discuss next time we meet.

E

EC

Yeah agreed Nigel, Graham some anglers do have the ability to extract the bigger fish from a swim!

P

Phil Hackett The ostrich pie hater

They certainly do Eddie ask Andy and Wol!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I think even Andy and Wol will agree that every fish they catch is not massive. They put in the time on places that can produce big fish but that doesn't mean that there are only big ones in there.

I have yet to find a bait that only catches big fish and if anyone knows of such a bait I will willingly pay for the privilege of using it.