Carp Baits

D

David Plumb

As already mentioned in another thread I'm trying to get back into coarse fishing after an absence of over 20 years. I'm bemused by the vast array of different baits now available; not just for carp but for other species as well. Back in the seventies I mainly used maggot, caster, worm, sweetcorn, luncheon meat, bread and, of course, paste which I used to think was exotic if it was made with dog or cat food!

I suppose these "old" baits will still work but where do you start with all this new stuff? Can anybody , please?

A

andrew jackson

Hi Dave.
Welcome back to the family. Bait is a funny subject, there is a vast array of goodies available these days. But many of the modern offerings dont live up to the hype. As far as I am concerned the "old" baits still stand head and shoulders above most of the modern offerings. The best advice I could give you would be, treat all new baits with scepticism but be prepared to keep an open mind. If one turns out to be a winner, in 50 new offerings, we are doing well. With the exeption of carp fishing, look at all the catch reports these tell us the true picture.

D

David Will

Dave seriously consider Tiger nuts and maize , they are catching a lot and do not cost the earth.

I

Ian Whittaker

All baits that caught carp still catch carp!
The only reason not to use a bait is if it's picking up too many nuisance fish.

C

Carp Angler

All the 'old' favourites will still catch loads of carp.
Place more importance on location and application and the bait will seem a secondary consideration.