Pleasure Fishing

Steve Handley

Reaction score
Are you one of these people who go fishing whatever the conditions? or are you like me, especially at this time of year with winter encroaching, pick and choose a day when conditions are more favourable.

I seem to spend a lot of time nowadays watching the longe range weather forecasts, so that, if possible I can choose a day to go fishing when the wind is coming from mild south-westerly direction, preferably with overcast, misty conditions and the river is fining down with a bit of colour in it. I'm not asking for too much, am I!?

Now, I know it's not always possible, because most of us have full time jobs and can only go fishing on our days off. But isn't fishing all about going out into the great outdoors and enjoying it, not suffering in the cold, freezing your nuts off looking for that odd bite. After all it's not an endurance test, or is it?

Looking out of the window today, the conditions are looking good. I should be out there fishing, unfortunately I'm stuck at work. Doh!

M

MarkTheSpark

"But isn't fishing all about going out into the great outdoors and enjoying it, not suffering in the cold, freezing your nuts off looking for that odd bite"

Well, yes, but if you aren't catching anything it's not great whatever the weather. And as the Norwegians say, there's no such thing as the wrong weather, just the wrong clothes!

I've fished at five below without freezing any parts of my body off; polar fleece, one-piece waterproof, walking socks and boots, good gloves, problem solved.

I think fishing is actually about enjoying all the seasons. If we still had any.

F

Fred Bonney

Hard luck Steve,having to w***.
If I can manage it,I'll take your advice, it's the day to get out, and fish.
If nothing else, it'll clear my head!
There's a fair old southerly blowing, at the moment.

Steve Handley

Reaction score
Winter is often my favourite time to get on the riverbank to fish for chub and roach and with todays modern winter clothing, it does'nt need to be an uncomfortable experience in suitable conditions, but if you're trying to trot a float down a low clear river and there's a cold North-Easterly wind blowing. You just know you're going to struggle.

Talking about seasons, whatever happened to them? the leaves have only just fallen from the trees, there are flowers still out in bloom and the wildlife does'nt know whether to hibernate or keep feeding.

Mind you, with this rain and mild conditions, the fish are still biting and I don't have to dress up like an Eskimo yet!