Lesson learned

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I went fishing this evening

didn't get to the lake until about 7:15

so by the time I'd set up it would be 7:30 - giving me an hours fishing roughly

I picked a swim that I'd not fished before but looked good as it had a small inlet where the water coming in washed an food on the bottom up

so I set up a simple quiver tip set up weight bomb and knot less knot - meat as bait and small bag of 6mm pellets attached- I cast in before i'd set up my landing net, thinking that I'd have time to assemble the handle (it's in 2 part witha 3rd that the net screws into)

The bait could not have been i nthe water for 30 seconds when I saw the tip lurch round and a fish was on

I played the fish, luckily it was a small carp of around 4lb - and put the net together at the same time and landed the fish - but it was a lesson for me - set up everthing before casting a bait in

I recast and whilst waiting threw in small bits of bread - with in 5 minutes I had 2 or 3 carp fighting to take each piece at I thorw the bread in
I then got another bite on the meat and this carp took me round a submerges metal structure and I was snapped off

I recat and then contiued to feed bread on the surface - the carp were going mad for it so I wound in and tied a size 10 straight to 8lb main line and hooked 4 carp on the floating bread - landing 2 and loosing 2 to the metal snag
All the carp except the first (the 4lb) were about 7 or 8
Packed up at 8:30 when it was too dark to carry on

not bad for an hour's fishing but in future I'll get my landing net set up - if it had been an 8lb carp then my rod may well have gone in :eek:mg:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
yes I hear my old mans voice "landing net first" whenever I set up , its the same reason I always have "eyes above the saw" .

What kind of lake is that Paul the fishing sounds pretty good

barbelboi

Reaction score
Paul, I remember fishing a lake in Norfolk some years ago with my son and cast a funnel web with some plastic casters on the hair to an island (a gentle cast of about 30'). Before I even had time to put the rod down in the rest and set the runner the rod was almost ripped out of my hand by a carp - obviously the 'web' had not had time to dissolve so the fish had literally gone for the plastic bait attached to a 'big white lump':confused:
Jerry
PS My net was set up;)

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I always make a point of setting my landing net up first before casting in

I get the chair in position , set up the landing net, set up my rod, then get evrything tidy and neat round my with in easy reach then and only then cast in

But last night due to the short fishign time I broke my rule - wont be doing that again

I also left my tub of pellets out of reach and rather than get out of the chair I leaned over - knock the tub over and spilled 1/2 the pellets on the floor:mad:

Frank Elson

Reaction score
Must be 40 years ago now that I lost a fish - I have no idea what because I never saw it, but not big - because I was trying to put my net together and reel in at the same time.
So I haven't done it since.
But we all know that if I ever do I'll lose another fish, don't we ?

soak

Reaction score
I went fishing this evening

didn't get to the lake until about 7:15

so by the time I'd set up it would be 7:30 - giving me an hours fishing roughly

I picked a swim that I'd not fished before but looked good as it had a small inlet where the water coming in washed an food on the bottom up

so I set up a simple quiver tip set up weight bomb and knot less knot - meat as bait and small bag of 6mm pellets attached- I cast in before i'd set up my landing net, thinking that I'd have time to assemble the handle (it's in 2 part witha 3rd that the net screws into)

The bait could not have been i nthe water for 30 seconds when I saw the tip lurch round and a fish was on

I played the fish, luckily it was a small carp of around 4lb - and put the net together at the same time and landed the fish - but it was a lesson for me - set up everthing before casting a bait in

I recast and whilst waiting threw in small bits of bread - with in 5 minutes I had 2 or 3 carp fighting to take each piece at I thorw the bread in
I then got another bite on the meat and this carp took me round a submerges metal structure and I was snapped off

I recat and then contiued to feed bread on the surface - the carp were going mad for it so I wound in and tied a size 10 straight to 8lb main line and hooked 4 carp on the floating bread - landing 2 and loosing 2 to the metal snag
All the carp except the first (the 4lb) were about 7 or 8
Packed up at 8:30 when it was too dark to carry on

not bad for an hour's fishing but in future I'll get my landing net set up - if it had been an 8lb carp then my rod may well have gone in :eek:mg:

Only three sorts of people fish like that, a novice, an idiot, or someone who has never caught a fish worth catching. What a plonker.

watatoad

Reaction score
Only three sorts of people fish like that, a novice, an idiot, or someone who has never caught a fish worth catching. What a plonker.

Your being to hard and not clear enough ronnie, I remember you forgetting your bait and sandwiches on more than one occasion.

Anyone can forget anything with the excitement of going fishing I know I have and you have forgot to put your landing net together and had to scream for help, true it was a long time ago but it happened.

Last edited:

beerweasel

Reaction score
Your landing net should be the first thing up and the last thing down.

Last edited: