Good article...

E

Evan

Good article.

"As for the flat 'lollipop' float it offers a way of presenting a still bait with precision and sensitivity that is unmatched"

How and why does it do so ? I've not heard of these lollipop floats before, how are they used and how do they work ?

Anyone....

Cheers

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Evan. Lollipop floats sit still in the flow so you can present a static bait or inch it through.

Nice article again Mark it almost made me go out and but a new pole, almost but not quite. it is a killer on rivers when the fish want a static bait. I've even seen a guy using the lollipop on the middle Severn and he was catching too.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I dismissed them as a novelty item until I tried one. They're excellent for the right job, which, as Graham says, for holding a bottom bait in the flow.

And for inching down the swim in a kind of stret-peg fashion.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

They are the best floats for laying on in a stream that I know of.

I use them mostly with a long rod - 17 feet.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Evan,

The main advantage is that you can use a lollipop float that is between 30% and 50% lighter than the conventional float you would normally use in a given flow. Not only that, but hte lighter float gives a far better prsentation, and as others above have said, you can 'lay on' or inch a bait through your swim easily.

I use a long(ish) hooklength, about 12 inches, and use only one dropper shot about 4 inches above the hooklength. The main bulk of the shot I use an olivette about 3 feet from the float.
You obviously have to fish the full depth of your swim and maybe a little overdepth on top of that.

The important part is to use the right float for the flow so you have a sort of 'critically balanced' rig that is just heavy enough to hold in the flow.

I'd suggest that you start off fishing at no more than, say, 8 metres, and when you have mastered the technique then increase the length of pole as necessary. don't forget to hold the pole (not in the rests) and inch your rig through the swim.

The only problem I have with lollipops is how to store them without damaging them from time to time.

Hope this helps.

Mark, another really nice informative article.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Evan,

Perhaps my picture/description isn't clear enough. The Lollipopfloat is a thin disc with a means to attach the float by an eye that protrudes from the edge of the disc. This means the float is edge on in the current so able to hold steady better than a conventional round bodied float. The angles of tip and stem work out so that when you've got the correct size on the tip is vertical. The bites are easy to see and relatively easy to hit. The vane effect helps hold the float steady.

The type I used was a Sensas Edmund. Even better though I've yet to get any are Cralusso which have various different shapes.

D

DAN.

great to see the likes of graham using pole and lolly pops.
i use this method lots on my local stretch of river(DON).
Its one of those methods that can just desimate a swim and keep fish comming when rod and line fail.
once again top articul.

matt

Reaction score
Would it be practicle to use these floats on a runing line and a normal length float rod?

D

DAN.

cant see why not if your fishing an undercut bank
just lower your rig over the edge and then sit back and wait till all hell brakes loose!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Matt,

Yes, cannot see why not.

Remember though it is the 'kiss if death' though to let the float rundown at the full pace of the stream.
The whole idea is to be able to offer a fine presentation with a lighter (than normal) float, held back or even laid-on.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Learning new methods even when of such advanced age (me as well!) is very true.

I've not yet fished with the Lollipop but intend to do so. This article has clarified quite a few things for me and would have made an ideal Video subject (as mentioned on another thread).

As for enjoying new methods, I've had a pole for less than a year and have had great fun using it in all sorts of different circumstances from some nice crucians in a desperately tight swim to carp up to 20lb 6oz from GV!! It's opened my eyes to a lot of variation.

D

DAN.

neil try it on a local stretch of river im sure you will be rewarded with a great hall.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
My gawd there are some wonderfully weird looking floats amongst that lot but I can see them working. I don't like this thread, its nudging me towards buying a new pole and I've just given away both of my poles and given away all the gear associated with it, including my box. I'm too old to start buying all that gear again surely to god.

D

DAN.

Ron,
the likes of graham means ...a well known name in the angling comunity.

Nenad.
i use the cralusso all the time on my local river.
its brill for bream and barbel fishing (im not gonna get into barbel on the pole again!)but its akiller method for all fish that swim and is first choice in my pole attack for flowing water followed by pole feeder.