Questions on feeding

little oik

Reaction score
I thought about using pva bags when waggler fishing at over 4 rod lengths out as this would keep the feed fairly close to the hookbait rather than using a catapult as that has a tendency to spread the feed over a greater area when using small particles like pellet and sweetcorn.I was thinking last night about the possibility of making up some "ice lollies "(putting the feed into a small container and adding water then freezing .)then using these a freebies .Would this work or would the contents take to long to breakdown and would the water (ice)take some of the flavour out of the food or would this attract a scent trail .Any thoughts .

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
You don't really need all the free bait sprinkled around an area the size of a small plate, yes accurate feeding if key, but, i believe that the area you feed can be bigger than a lollipop sized piece of free offerings. Stick to a catapult and just practise and practise.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I was thinking last night about the possibility of making up some "ice lollies "(putting the feed into a small container and adding water then freezing .)
Ice floats, remember that. I took a carton of frozen hemp with me once and it hadn't defrosted entirely by the time I got to the swim, but I chucked the remainingg ice block in anyway and slowly (the current was almost non-existant) the hemp defrosted and deposited in a line. Still some of it drifted beyond where I wanted it. :doh:

If you put your feed in PVA bags note 1) that the feed should not be wet enough to melt the bag :eek: and 2) that you include a stone to sink it and 3) if it's a solid PVA bag, burst it a couple of times with your scissors to let the air out. Throwing the bags in like that will keep them tightly grouped, but if you tried attaching to your hook on a float rig it would perhaps be too heavy. :eek:mg:

little oik

Reaction score
The problem with using a catapult with the likes of sweetcorn and small pellet at a fair distance away is that you would be better off using an old blunderbuss .It sprays the bait everywhere ,and if there is a bit of wind about to throw into the mix (sorry about the pun ).I dont believe feeding in a tight area as well , 10sq yd area is good enough for me ,its just using small feed it ends up being a 30 yd area instead .
I have tried pva bags on the hook whilst on the waggler with middling success,with corn I mix a bit of salt with it and it tends to hold back the melt time enough.
I will admit I hadn't thought about the ice floating though ,perhaps a plan G needs to be hatched .

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
I agree Corky, either that or little oik is loading to many grains of Corn or Pellets in to the catty, try 2 or 3 at a time and you'll get better results.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
There are a couple of 'tight' swims on my local stretches of the Avon where I fish for roach when I use 14.5 metres of pole to cup out my feed and my waggler rig . . . . . . .

Frank Elson

Reaction score
I've had the same problem and intend to try a bit of Horlicks, or the new Stikymix (sp?) that the method lads use to hold their pellets together.
A bit of experimenting with how much, so they stay together in the air then break up on hitting the water.

A

alan whittington

Another problem with ice,is that if fish eat baits that are iced(even partially,it upsets them,they lose the interest to feed,Peter Burton,a well known southern matchman of yesteryear used to promote feeding frozen sweetcorn(with a stone in it to sink it),so as to stop anglers in good chub pegs catching,i.e. feed it at the bottom of your peg,so as to kill it for the chevin,disgusting imo.

nicky

Reaction score
If you have a compost bin get a riddle and riddle off some nice fluffy compost you can then put your bait in this and make balls as big or small as you like for throwing in, plenty of weight for accuracy i use this method to introduce chopped worms without introducing huge balls of groundbait which may overfeed the fish.

Frank Elson

Reaction score
ooh compost... yes, I remember reading about that once upon a time. Thanks for the reminder :)

nicky

Reaction score
i use it all the time to great effect, even use it to mix with other groundbait has a great texture and full of little bugs.
One of the worm companies are selling something similar at the moment called living groundbait at £7.50 a kilo which i think is something similar