New water

bjh

Reaction score
I'm planning a campaign on a new water to me, sadly because of a publicity ban I can't tell the name but it's a large estate lake in Cheshire, I'm sure some will know where I mean. Any how, I've been for a look round and am stuck for a approach, it's very silty and relatively shallow from what I could see, I am finding very hard to find any relavent tips on rigs. Can anyone point me in the right direction, I'm not really a boilie user but I know I'm going to have to het confident with them on here otherwise will be plaiged by the massive head of bream.

Anything will be helpful

beerweasel

Reaction score
Sorry I can't help but welcome to fishing magic and tight lines old bean. :w

Reaction score
You imply that you are not interested in the bream, but you don't say what you intend to fish for. A bit more info would be useful before anyone can help you.

I do hope you are not poaching on my estate.

bjh

Reaction score
No no poaching! It's a PA water which I've just got in.

I'm after the big old carp that live there, i know that there's some 30's in and a fair head of 20. It was crystal clear when I went up once you got away from the b******y ducks! It goes to 2ft ish at the far end and roughly 8ft in the middle but all very silty and lot of weed, there seems to be alot of naturales in the water.

bjh

Reaction score
Hi

I'm only geussing but I'd say 25-30 achers ish. Bit of a odd shape so hard to tell

Last edited:

cg74

Reaction score
You imply that you are not interested in the bream, but you don't say what you intend to fish for. A bit more info would be useful before anyone can help you.

I do hope you are not poaching on my estate.

Hmm, let me think, its an estate lake with a large head of bream and the question is placed on the carp board, errrrm, maybe Arctic char, no, its vendace........... Perhaps......

BJH, if its bream avoidance that's the priority, I'd start with bait. My usual way of avoiding bream is either of these two; tiger nuts over a bed of hemp, also you can swop the tiger nuts with maize but don't feed much maize as it'll just attract the snotty ones.
Or
The big boilie approach, 20mm or bigger. How you approach this technique depends on the head of carp in the water.
Anything from a couple kilos spread over an area of 20x20ft, down to a few crushed and whole boilies each cast with PVA.

Regards rigs, I'd go with a combi-link hook length using strip braid but also strip back the loop you attach to your swivel (link to mainline) as, if your lead gets embedded in the silt, your hook length can still hinge and lay flat on the deck. A 2oz square lead on a running rig will also help reduce the the lead getting stuck in the silt, so will clipping off, as you can effectively lower the lead/rig on to the water.
I'd use PVA to help reduce tangles and include your lead in it, again to lessen the chances of getting lost in the silt.

Another option which I'm shocked no one has mentioned. Stalk the margins, putting a handful of bait in likely looking spots and only fish for visible carp or definite signs of activity; clouds of silt from feeding carp, bubbles, carp rolling etc

And whatever you do, with the exception of when stalking, DO NOT FEED FISHMEAL BASED PELLETS or crumb groundbait!

Last edited:

Morespiders

Reaction score
BHJ, just go on and fish it like you would any water, it's not easy, it's not hard, the eastern end is the siltyist but not that bad, I usually use 1oz bombs, with a very light backlead (homemade) my 3 biggest out of there 30+, 30, 28+lbs hotdog sausage fished 10 yds from the bank, plus many more on other baits, dont pile lots of bait in, 1-2 tins a days enough, cut sausage into half to threequarter inch long pieces use a 1-2 ft hooklink
Good luck

PS, I would go with you, but the booking system puts me off

B

Berty

BHJ, just go on and fish it like you would any water, it's not easy, it's not hard, the eastern end is the siltyist but not that bad, I usually use 1oz bombs, with a very light backlead (homemade) my 3 biggest out of there 30+, 30, 28+lbs hotdog sausage fished 10 yds from the bank, plus many more on other baits, dont pile lots of bait in, 1-2 tins a days enough, cut sausage into half to threequarter inch long pieces use a 1-2 ft hooklink
Good luck

PS, I would go with you, but the booking system puts me off

You have only Bream fished it then? :)

agamemnon

Reaction score
im fishing a very silty water this year and after lots of hastle i found a free running paternoster rig seems to work really well for me. thread a swivel onto the mainline then a bead and tie your hook link onto the end. then use a light link (i use 5lbs) get some silicon tubing threaded over the weaklink and then tie on a quick release swivel so you can swap your leads around. make sure the hook lnk is longer than the weaklink and bobs your uncle tangle free and a silt free hook. just to make sure the hook is out of the silt i use a small pva bag around the hook or a bit of pva foam on the hook.
as to trying to get away from the bream good luck :) i tend to use 20mm boillies and still catch bream ive tried 3 or 4 21mm pellets on the hair and still had bream gorge themselves on the bait and give me a fish on the bank without the hook getting near the lips