yawn

B

Bully

Stunning fish. Well done.

....everyone to their own Paul.

Its a fishing site, so I applaud them and I bet the fish were well looked after and appreciated by their captors.

P

Phil Hackett The ostrich pie hater

Do you think he?ll go for the treble now that the kudos of carp are slipping in favour of Bertie Barbus?
Travelling on, travelling on, travelling on!

T

The Monk

yes the carp world has gone crazy Paul, It doesnt seem that long ago when a ten pound carp was a big fish

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Give it some more boilies to eat, it might make the Ton.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Fishingmagic report stating a new world record carp has been caught and what happens?

Cue, all the sad knockers, same old faces doing the same old knocking. Some anglers are like gossiping women - who can we have a go at next girls, oh! I know someone who has done something I couldn't do, caught a record fish.

Well done that man I say, and good luck to him.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
"Do you think the angling world will give him a kicking?..."

Why should they? The guy has caught a world record carp. OK, it's been caught before. We all catch fish that have been caught before, but if it's an insignificant specimen we don't always know that.

Trying to catch the same fish more than once isn't everyone's choice, but if it's his choice then so be it. Don't forget, it's a year since the fish was last caught. Hardly a mug fish then, is it?

N

nick hodgkinson

very true Graham - green eyed monster raises its ugly head again

also its from a water that is accessible to all - not an exclusive syndicate

i suppose Two Tone is a mug fish then having graced the bank a few times this season?

also those that consider Redmire the epitome of carping (in the past) might be interested to know how many repeat captures there were of certain fish?

N

nick hodgkinson

i just wonder how many of the 'scathing' comments related to the previous somewhat controversial angling methods used by some at Rainbow?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Having read a lot of the history of Redmire, I can assure you that a small number of those carp were daft in the extreme.

Chris Yates record - known as "The Bishop" was caught umpteen times before by such anglers as Jack Hilton, Roger Bowskill, Tom Mintram and Pete Thomas.

Then there is "Raspberry", a common with no ventral fins. It's probably the oldest carp living in Britain, if it's still alive.

N

nick hodgkinson

Ron - Raspberry has gone to the great fishy place in the sky!

i just find it somewhat hypocritical that Two Tone etc are referred to as mug fish because of their frequent bank visits - yet no such comment is made about Redmire fish?

i've got quite a good record of Redmire captures - many of which are outside the public domain!

T

The Monk

I spent years chasing 10 and 20lb carp in the 70s and even 80s, they always held a special magic for me in the UK, it may be a personal thing but when I started to travel overseas and abroad and caught 30s on a regular basis, it sort of burst the baloon for me and threw things out of prespective, maybe its me I don`t know, but many of my carp dreams ended, no more secrets, no more unknown, I really would love to go back to the days when carp had no names and we didnt really know what the waters held, good luck to those who chase these monsters though, I really do wonder just how big carp will go in the years ahead, sadly the larger they grow, the more insignificant to many the 10s and 20s will get, its all relative really and the size of a fish should not really be important, I think the angler who measures his fish along the pleasure scale is a far richer angler.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

That's quite true mate.

When I went to South Africa in '67, I discovered that the country had produced carp to over 80 lbs in the past. Yet the majority of carp waters were full of small fish that bred about 3 times a year.

And when I forgot the current UK tactics for carp and started using modified SA methods, I started catching carp in huge quantities. It was just too darned easy!

However finding the big fish wasn't easy as there are not the predators in many of the SA waters that there are in the UK to keep the populations down.

The biggest carp inhabited waters with a good population of American Bass. And big they were. My biggest fish were taken from stocked trout lakes and a few private lakes in the Cape Province, and just north of Johannesburg.

B

Bill Cox

How true Monk, I still remember vividly my first 10lb carp and my first 20lb carp and I'm still happy to just catch. I've caught carp to almost 40lb but I'm happy catching anything that swims (apart from Ducks and geese)I think the problem is that people have much bigger fish in a lot more places to fish for then they used to and its a case of too much to quickly that prevents people from appreciating the real beauty and enjoyment of fishing

L

Les Clark

Very true Monk ,when we started carp fishing back in the 70`s , we just fished for carp not knowing what was in the waters ,a 10 lb carp was a bloody good result ,a few tench plus the odd carp was a good session .
The only boilies where the ones that you made at home ,i remember fishing Waverly and fishing freelined baits (boilies )that where the size of an orange .
Not great results by todays standards but bloody good fun and more laid back .