Preparing Maize....?

T

Tony O'dell

Have looked into using maize in small quantities, but need conformation of how to prepare it...have heard that using salt, or perhaps sugar in the preparation helps...
Cheers
Tony

C

Carp Angler

I covered this in a previous Carp Column

I tend to find that sweet in the summer and salt in the winter is best.
You can use very high concentrations of salt, but it's best to experiment with what is best for your particular water.

A

andrew jackson

Hi Tony.
You will need to soak the maize for 48 hours, it then needs to be boiled untill it starts to go soft. I do not use any salt or sugar in its preperation. If I was going to leave the maize to ferment however, I would add sugar to help this process along.

J

John Pleasance

Has anybody ever got it to germinate as suggested by big Rod, cos I've tried with both french maize and plate maize from Haiths and left it for days without any result.I've tried it in the greenhouse,I've tried leaving it in the same water and changing the water but it never germinates.It still catches fish though,24 hours soak minimum,then 20 mins in pressure cooker.

C

Carp Angler

I've had maize soaking for 4 months and it's never sprouted......

Other stuff starts to germinate quite quickly, but never managed it with maize.

C

Cakey

I spilt some in France on to this like peat stuff,2weeks later when i left they had sprouted an inch.

CAKEY