Hypothetical question but...

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
...if say for example your club/association had an official web site and some member/s set up a web site/forum for members of a certain section of the club membership, (without notifying committee) and those wanting access have to 'be approved', what would your reaction be?

Bearing in mind this is not just a group of mates who fish together, but relates solely to a club water, making its own 'rules' for the water, and with talk of 'noddy anglers' and this/that water being wasted on 'other anglers' etc etc, and even has a 'stocking fund', again without the knowlege of or permision of committee.

Do I need to spell out the angling discipline involved :rolleyes:

I found the site by doing a search of hits on the clubs 'official' web site.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
any discussions / undertakings done covertly behind closed doors is trouble waiting too happen ,next move is A coup d'état ,and they get on the commitee or worse still if the pond is rented ,they under cut the club and rent it themselfs.

eject the lot from the club ,before its too late

little oik

Reaction score
Not best pleased .The dummy would be out of the pram for defo. If they want to set a site up for a water that is run by a club then by all means however it should be pen to all in the club.If they want to slag anybody off or stab them in the back then they have Pms or email .I would keep an eye on the site if you can and you either agree with what they are saying or you tell the committee end of . I only say that as I have no idea on what the club is like etc and how it is run. You would have to read between the lines if you know what I mean .

904_cannon

Reaction score
No chance of losing th water Chav as its owned, (worth about £1m too :)) and under the club constitution no group of members can do anything with club assets without a 75% majority vote of the VP's. That was included after a similar group of self centered anglers almost caused the club to fold about 8years ago.

I know what I would do, and if I don't get backing from the committee I'll walk. No way am I going through all the 'angst' again.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
If it's a club water, it's a club water, end of subject, If it's a club web site, it's a club web site. It's not ethical to run a satellite club web site within a club.

The 'breakaway' group should be brought before the commitee as soon as is possible, to explain their actions/aims/motives.

Just a further thought, there are many other means of communication to discuss matters of particular interest/concern without setting up an alternative 'closed' web site.

Last edited:

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Every club has the right to eject members or refuse membership. I know what I'd do if I was in your shoes John. Swift action saves a lot of trouble in the long run.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Same thing happened with a club i was in, a splinter group (carp anglers) tried to get rid of some of the committee, they won, the owner of the two lakes, sided with the members that left, the club lost both waters.
Nip it in the bud and ban them, before its to late

904_cannon

Reaction score
This is the reply I received when applying for access to the site (as A N Other - takes me back to the days when RU players had trials with RL clubs ;))

Hi I have to send every email with a validation code just to make sure all is fine with the person applying .. Anyway welcome to site hope you enjoy whats going on within it, anything your not happy with just let me know. The site was setup to try and bring a comunication link between anglers alike on the complex..i know in the past the committee have had problems with certain carp anglers and can ensure you have a good set of anglers fishing the venue including match anglers who are keen enough to do whats right for the club as a whole...

best regards

Point is the Club web site had both a 'members only' and open forum board, through its web site and annual renewal letter the club was constantly asking for feed back from members and info/photographs of catches - then I stumble on this outfit :mad:

You'll have gathered by now that it's not the CSG. Over 25 years a member and not a crossed word, well not many ;) Most marriages don't last that long

sl1ced

Reaction score
it would be like FM having its own elite section that certain users could access and as said above itd just be bad news, especially if it wasnt moderated. i had this happen but with a car club. i left 4 days later, no abuse or anything aimed at me but everyone was getting both barrels and the owners didnt know what to do

i personally wouldnt take part in any of it keep my nose out like

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
it would be like FM having its own elite section that certain users could access and as said above itd just be bad news, especially if it wasnt moderated. i had this happen but with a car club. i left 4 days later, no abuse or anything aimed at me but everyone was getting both barrels and the owners didnt know what to do

Nah, it could never happen :wh

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Recipe for disaster! Either you're in the club or you're not.

You cannot go forming splinter groups within a club (AND without the committeees knowledge) and if thats what you want to do then best leave......IMHO

But then, is this any different to meeting up with a few fishing pals (all from the same club) at a pub, discussing club waters, making plans on how to attack the water, putting together a list of 'secret baits' available to only those at the meeting, coming up with new rigs etc etc-without telling the club committee or anyone else?

Now does anyone know of a good pub in South Bucks.........................smilie thing here..

Answers on a postcard....

Last edited:

richiekelly

Reaction score
i cannot understand why if the club has a members only forum and an open one why anyone should want a "splinter group secret society" within the club unless they are allowed to post things that would not be allowed on the clubs forums, if they are concerned about things that go on regarding the water they should get voted onto the commitie and do things the correct way, if they are not willing to do that then all of them should be banned from the club as as these splinter groups will end up causing trouble for the club as i know from personal experience.

watatoad

Reaction score
I think its the thin edge.

One club one committee one website. But be sure of your ground and backing before tackling it privately. Maybe consider circulating every club member and consider an open vote on it and any members so included. Whatever happens even if it destroys the club.

I personally would kick out the members involved with organising and running any such group or website and simply not give them a chance to enhance their terrorist aims within any club I run.

beerweasel

Reaction score
A club within a club ( sharing similar tastes in......er.....fortified wine and dairy products ? ).
As long as they are open about it I think its ok, but as soon as the funny handshakes start there will be trouble. ;):w

sam vimes

Reaction score
I can understand the concern, more than one club has been ruined by such sects within. However, if the club owns the water it's much less of an issue. The only way that they can take over is by assuming important club posts and having enough supporters to democratically influence voting. The biggest potential problem in such splinter groups within clubs is when the club rents/leases the fishing rights on a water. They are vulnerable as hell to syndication if the renegades gain access to the landowner and are aware of the costs involved.

waggy

Reaction score
Air your knowledge of what they're up to on the official club website, contact other club committee members to alert them and organise a quick committee mtg. to discuss the direction you want to go. Get their support to call an emergency general meeting to air the issue.