Aqua-SPAWN bait

hypno88

Reaction score
I was on eBay yesterday searching for fishing accessories/baits and I stumbled onto this aqua-SPAWN bait. I have never seen this in any of the tackle shops I've been in. The description and pictures have intrigued me and I think I'll end up buying a pot to try them out.

Manufacturer's website:
http://www.lagunafp.eu/products/Aqua-SPAWN.html

I was just wondering if anybody on this site tried them before? Were they any good? Did you have any problems with them?

What do the rest of you think? Worth a gamble?

- Paolo

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
The guy used to post on this site, but hasn't for some time now.

the bait has to be soaked and a flavouring can be added, after that it can be kept in the fridge for weeks, but dry before soaking can be kept for months.

In use, it stays on the hooks reasonably well if you're using a pole or short casting with a float, but I found it didn't survive long casting on a feeder well. it could have come off on the retrieve of course, but I sometimes saw it fly off, was a long cast mind. As for catching fish, it was an alternative, but on the days I tried it, it was no better or no worse than other pellets.

Worth a try, but if the fish are on, you'd probably catch them on almost anything.

Last edited:

hypno88

Reaction score
Cheers for the reply Jeff. There are pre-activated tester packs on eBay for only a couple of quid, I think I'll grab a couple of those first to give them a try.

On their website they talk about them being fragile when allowed to fully grow. For distance casting, they suggest to keep them a bit smaller, meaning the outer skin stays a bit more robust due to it not being too stretched. They also talk about drilling a larger hole through them and placing a bit of plastic tubing through it, so that your hair rig cannot cut through them like razor-wire.

Seems there is going to be a bit of a learning curve when using these, but at only a few pounds for a tester pack I think

---------- Post added at 05:22 ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 ----------

Thanks for the reply Jeff. They are selling pre-activated tester packs on eBay for only a couple of quid each, after what you've said I think I'll grab a couple of those first to give them a try.

On their website they admit that the baits can be a bit fragile when allowed to grow to full size. For distance-casting they suggest taking them out of the water a bit earlier when activating them. This makes them a bit smaller but also a bit more robust due to the outer skin not being stretched so far. They also talk about drilling a hole through them and placing a bit of plastic tubing through. They say that this will prevent the hair and the bait acting like when razor wire meets cheese!

It seems that there is going to be a bit of a learning curve when it comes to using these. Hopefully the effort will translate to my landing mat seeing more use, but only time will tell. I don't think anybody fishing the lake close to me use them, so hopefully it will give me a competitive edge. But I'm not stupid, I understand that it could in-fact end up meaning the opposite. At the end of the day, it's up to the fish what they fancy eating

Once I get the tester packs, I will let you guys know how the session went

- Paolo