Fishing Etiquette

Reaction score
Since returning to fishing I've mainly been waggler fishing with fairly light tackle on a local lake. I've been lucky enough to hook and land two double figure Carp. Both times I was the only person on the lake and I was able to let the fish run in open water wherever they wanted (through several other swims). I doubt I could have landed them on light tackle without letting them run.

My question is this. If other people are fishing nearby swims, or in a match situation, should you hold on and hope you can turn a fish without breaking rather than allowing it to plough through someone else's swim?

Are there any other points of fishing etiquette people should be aware of before inadvertantly upsetting others?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Never heard of that one Jason mate. Sometimes it can't be helped though.

Beecy

Reaction score
In a match situation the best course of action to take when faced with a fish bigger than your tackle can bully, is to let the fish swim around as much as it wants as long as it is not in your peg, preferably you are looking for it to cause maximum disturbance for at least 3 pegs either side.

Only when it is totaly knackerd and like a dog on a lead should you contemplate bringing it through your own swim to the net.

captain carrott

Reaction score
international rules possibly.

If anyone does as beecy suggests then it perfectly acceptable to fill the catapult with anything you can find lying around.

hand full of gravel, maggots, dog turds. rotting dead fish, lump of furry green stuff that you've had lying abpout in the bottom of your tackle box for ages
and shoot the bugger with it.

Beecy

Reaction score
no,a better responce is to take your feeder rod, cast over their line and bring the fish in and claim it for yourself.

tut tut, the tactical naivety of some people on this site

T

The Monk

I think the key thing here is the fishes welfare, it would be much better to let the fish run through someone elses swim than skull drag it,

to help prevent the fish runnng in other swims you could always throw half duckers in front of the fish of course, and if the guy in the next swim is doing better than you, you could always throw an half ducker at him by mistake

Beecy

Reaction score
I think your right about the inernational rules CC.

I remember reading an artical by one of the Notts fed years ago, think it was wayne swinscoe. they were fishing the world club champs and carp were the target. As soon as one was hooked they were sticking the rod as far under the water as they could so the judges could not see if the fish left there own zone

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
For all International and ANY Match that is fished according to NFA Rules, then the following shall apply:

Extract from NFA Match Rules (see rules 25 and 33)

Rule 25 . . . . . "The competitor will restrict their activities completely to these boundaries, neither his/her person, tackle, bait, groundbait or hooked fish may intrude into his/hers neighbours swim."

Rule 33 "33. Competitors must strike, play and land their own fish from the confines of their own peg. (see Rule 25)"

Reaction score
So for pleasure fishing, the general impression I am getting is that it is OK to let them run? I for one, would certainly rather see my neighbour safely land a decent fish, even if it has interupted my own fishing in the process.

In matches it sounds like it is not OK, although I guess sometimes it must be unavoidable, e.g. if the fish has run straight out and then kited across to one side.

captain carrott

Reaction score
an you're a club bailif baz and i've only ever fished about 3 matches in my life.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I don't have much to do with the Match side of things anymore Mr. Carrott.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

Rule 25 . . . . . "The competitor will restrict their activities completely to these boundaries, neither his/her person, tackle, bait, groundbait or hooked fish may intrude into his/hers neighbours swim."

Rule 33 "33. Competitors must strike, play and land their own fish from the confines of their own peg. (see Rule 25)"

I take it that the fish are also aware of these rules.
I sometimes wonder if those that make these rules have actually been fishing or hooked a large fish on light tackle.