reel maintainence

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I've just been cleaning a couple of my most used reels , Shimanos and looking at the maintainance instructions I see I need to put oil in a hole that is covered by a screw - done this with the little botle of oil supplied with the reels

I also need to unscrew the handle and grease the housing

2 questions

what grease do I use?

and What oil do I use when the supplied bottle (2 off) runs out)

cheers

barbelboi

Reaction score
Paul, go for Shimano Bantam Oil (BNT1445), Shimano Drag Grease (A-DRA1/4)

Or try this.

barbelboi-albums-a2-picture2755-hot-oil.jpg

Jerry

watatoad

Reaction score
Paul, go for Shimano Bantam Oil (BNT1445), Shimano Drag Grease (A-DRA1/4)

Or try this.

barbelboi-albums-a2-picture2755-hot-oil.jpg

Jerry

I'd go along with that as in the few cases were reel manufactures put their name to oils and grease it pays to stay with the products they promote.

Because if you don't for maximum problem free reel life you would need to completely strip down the reel and totally clean it of all old grease before putting a new grease or oil on, which although less important these days of synthetic grease and oil on older reels or secondhand reels you can never be sure that some of the non synthetic greases and oils might have been used nor can you be sure that the old grease or oil has not been contaminated and might not mix with the more modern oils. I have seen many changes to oil and grease over the past fifty odd years of fishing and fishing maintenance, there have certainly been some great advances although perhaps some are not so good.

watatoad

Reaction score
I don't know all these new product and there I am still making my own glue for some of my old cane rods...hehehe

Guess in some area's I am just a dyed in the wool traditionalist...hehehe

But not all area's a fair proportion of my rods and reels are less then 2 years old.

When I read Hot Sauce I immediately thought of the sauce my son uses with some Jamaican food he likes...hehehe...what a fool I am...hehehe

Although the manufacturer's name was a give away.

EDIT:
However like seymo products not very cheap.
END EDIT:

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
You can get both the grease and oil from here. Quantum Hot Sauce Oil | The Art of Fishing
Wow! It's only $9.49 (£5.95) in the USA. I don't know why some of these companies don't sell their stuff over here in regular shops.
I immediately thought of the sauce my son uses with some Jamaican food he likes.
Dave's Insanity Sauce perhaps, but no use on a reel. ;)