eBay or FM Clasifieds?

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I have a few rods, reels, alarms and so on that I'm putting up for sale. I have far too much gear and it's taken over my home!

I reckon selling for XMAS would be a good idea and would therefore need to be very quick.

I've sold records on eBay before and that worked well, but have been wondering if that would be the best route for me selling some fishing tackle.

Is there anyone out there that has experience of both selling tackle on eBay and on the FM classifieds section? If so, which route would you recommend I take? Any tips?

Thanks in advance!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
A good centrepin with a ratchet wouldn't be one of those items would it Mark?

Selling tackle on ebay is a doddle Matt just make sure you know what the cost of the postage is before advertising, buyers are wary of unrealistic postage charges. Also make sure you have the necessary packaging i.e. tubes for rods, boxes for reels etc and include them in the weight for postage charges. You can even put a minimum price on if you wish after that its a doddle, just sit and watch your Xmas money roll in.

S

Shrek

I've never managed to sell anything on the FM classifieds, despite having a few things listed.

I've successfully sold tackle on eBay though. Be as honest as you can with your description, include lots of photo's, be careful with the listing fee's (these can sting you if you're not careful) and be as honest as you can with P&P charges.

If you've something that you don't want to sell under a certain price either start the auction higher than ?1 or add a reserve onto the item (again, careful of listing fee's here).

Easiest for the buyer if you're registered to accept PayPal, but again you get stung with charges when you transfer the money into your account.

What I did was to list the items I had for sale in the classifieds for a week or so then, if they don't sell, put them up on Ebay.

If you do go the eBay route, try and make sure your listing finishes on a Sunday evening somewhere between 1800hrs and 2100hrs.

All the best and let us know how you get on and when you list the items too. Any fly fishing gear in there, like a peregrine rod, by any chance?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I think the biggest problem with the FM classifieds is that they're buried too deep and can't be found very easily. Something we hope to rectify soon.

The items in our classifieds are also not on auction, which means you pay the price advertised with no chance of bidding for a better bargain.

The advantage with FM Classifieds however, is that they're free, which means they're always worth a go as you have nothing to lose.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Thanks folks, eBay it will be.

Adrian, regarding the finishing time, that's something I've been thinking about. I'd intended to have them finish around 9pm on an early weekday night.

As for the tackle I'm selling I have 7 reels (4 Shimano - Nexave to Stradic), 2 entry level Daiwas and possibly an Adcock Stanton pin. I may well keep the latter.

I have a few Fox Alarms (ST, SXV and possible a pair of MMX's), a few rods (Fox's, Shimano's, Milo, Shakespeare, Leeda's, Nash's, Daiwa and possibly a Harrison) - all sorts really.

I've not fully decided what I want to keep yet and I've to photograph half of the gear!

When I have photographed everything, I may well put a list in the classifieds for a few days before I chuck everything on eBay. I'm a bit concerned that I need to hurry up and get things listed before XMAS.

ps. I'm not shifting a load of nicked tackle! It's all my own stuff. I just have had a habit of buying new without shifting the old stuff and now I can't move for tackle!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
There is one other alternative Matt, I have sold one or two things by advertising in Tesco's on the 'For Sale' board and if successful it saves all the packing and posting and you can name the price.

W

Wolfman Woody

Matt, Ebay = do as Adrian says - make it a weekend night, preferably Sunday.

It adds about 15% to the final bid.

Plenty of pictures, you're good at that.

Good honest description.

Start the prices low and don't put on a reserve, they only upset bidders.

Make sure they're in the correct sections.

E

EC

Matt its probably worth doing both, stick what you can on here, and see if you can shift it privately, am sure some items will go.

PM me your list if you dont mind Matt I'm looking for a few bits!

E

EC

goooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal

good one merv, must try harder ricardo

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Managed to click on 'tackle' ok.

Click 'second hand'........where??