Skimmers

T

Terry D

No such official classification exists. It's different for different anglers and depending on where they come from. To some it's a 1lb fish to others about 2lbs. Just judge for yourself whether you want to call it a 'proper' bream/slab/dustbin lid etc.

Will Smith

Reaction score
I,m not certain of this so i presume that skimmers get there name from the relative ease in reeling them in. They tend to come straight to the surface and can be easily reeled in across the surface.Hence the name skimmer.How then can any thing lets say above 1lb be called a skimmer.Any thoughts. Will.

Beecy

Reaction score
when im fishing with my dad, anything he gets bellow about 5 lb is a skimmer, anything I get over 1 lb is a proper bream.

W

Wolfman Woody

I have always thought that it's the stage at which the bream still wears it's silvery colours that defines it as a skimmer. Once they go bronzy then they're no longer a skimmer. That often happen when they're between 1 and 2 lbs.

Graham Marsden's the man to ask though. He was born under the sign of the bream, or year of the bream, or something breamy anyway.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Agree totally Woody. Thats my definition too. When they are silvery and you can skim them over the surface because they are not much thicker than razor blades you have a 'skimmer'.
Afraid they are my least favourite fish to catch. Nothing really to commend them, no fight, not in any way beautiful like a rudd or crucian, and they peck away at paste intended for carp and tench!
Bob Nudd is welcome to them.

Will Smith

Reaction score
The only reason i asked this question is because i read an article by a well known match angler and he was calling 3lb bream skimmers.And to me this seemed ridiculous.

W

Wolfman Woody

Usual tactic in matches of old (pre-cormorant days these) on a local gravel pit was to fish the maggot feeder catching plenty of skimmers and when you felt you might have enough to put you near the frame, you stuck on a worm and held out for a few slabs.

Perhaps they were also called skimmers because when you threw them back in out of disgust they skimmed on the surface.

Ohh bad boy, smack on wrist and banishment from the Bream Society (once it's formed) for that.