Centrepin reel prices

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I was browsing the web for centrepin reels and came across these and I couldn't help but wonder why our prices are so extortionate compared to these. The Purist for example sells from ?225 to ?250 here and the US equivalent is ?176, even with P&P, which is much cheaper in the states incidently, it is still better to buy from the states. There may be even cheaper places in the states I haven't looked, and remember these places are still making a profit.

A guy from Taiwan regularly advertises Okuma Pro reels on Ebay for just over ?60 thats a third cheaper than here. It ain't hardly fair is it?

Lark

Reaction score
Graham, It's the same in Canada. I was paying the same in Canadian dollars for equipment and clothing as we are in pounds and was getting an exchange rate of well over $2 to the ?. I'm afraid Tony's pledge to rid us of the tag "Rip-off Britain" is still a long way away.

W

Wolfman Woody

I don't know Graham, that Arnold Kingpin looks pretty damned pricey to me. I bought mine for only ?110, ok so it was 7 years ago, but when last I looked 6 months ago they were only 150 then.

John Ledger (ACA)

Reaction score
I paid ?220 for the Bob James pin about 4years ago and yes Graham well and truly ripped off although i would have paid an extra ?20 to have Bob James name removed

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

It's all about buying power I am afraid.

With ca 69 million anglers in the USA, the market is bigger and the retailers can place much bigger orders with any supplier, which attracts bigger discounts which in turn are passed onto the end user.

And the GST in the USA is not as high as the VAT in UK.

And British built centre-pins are becoming quite popular in the States.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

My Arnold pin also only cost me ?110. About the same time as Woody.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Woody, average price for the Kingpin now is ?160 so yes that particular one is a bit pricey at ?181 but not so the others. There may be cheaper sites in the States as well remember but I havn't looked.

I have a neighbour who often buys photographic gear from the states and he is always on about how cheap everything is compared to here. He has said many times that the postage charges are cheaper than what he pays here and their delivery is very quick. Surprisingly he hasn't yet had to pay tax on the items he's ordered which can make the prices less favourable. Some stuff he buys from the States he re-sells on Ebay and still makes a profit.

W

Wolfman Woody

Just be careful if you do buy anything from the USA. If it's high enough in value the dreaded HM Customs men can charge you import duty (it used to be 6%) and VAT (17?%) on the total declared value - even if it's marked as a present.

Otherwise, good time to buy from them.

E

EC

"although i would have paid an extra ?20 to have Bob James name removed"

arftastic Johnny,

I have a purist, cost me about 170 rips about 3years ago!

John Ledger (ACA)

Reaction score
Nice to see you back Eddie

To be honest i have not heard of the Arnold until i came on FM.Sounds like a good un

Paul T

Reaction score
Centre pins are well over priced in my opinion, considering there are not that many parts to them. Perhaps it is fashionable to charge the earth for them who knows. Yes some of them are objects of beauty and fine engineering, but I know of some people who say they are to good to use, and keep them in a glass cabinet!

W

Wolfman Woody

They're not mass-produced, that's why. Each (British ones that is) is hand crafted and that takes times and that costs money.

I have a copy of "Passion For Angling" with the inside cover signed by Bob James that I was thinking of putting on Ebay, but I've been advised that it would fetch more if it was an unmarked copy. That right?

G

Grant Lever

Shakespeare Lincoln and Leeds are very good reels and can be bought cheaply off ebay..

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

The J W Young reels are certainly not mass produced. The market is small for a start.

Paul T

Reaction score
I own an okuma centre pin, nice reel, good price. But I must admit the Youngs reels look better.