How long are Waymaster Scales

J

john conway

Could anyone tell me the size of the body of a set of Waymaster scales, I seem to remember they are about 6". I need an accurate measurement because I have several pics of desent Chub lying next to my old scales, which I replace last year. I can retrospectively measure the length of these chub by dropping the pic into AutoCad and then scaling it. I have a length/condition factor project in mind and it would be nice to consider these fish. Obviously, I will actually measure any chub I catch from now on.

Paul B

Reaction score
John, well remembered - I measure my 30lb Waymasters at 150mm(body only); inc handle (closed)165mm; handle open 185mm.

J

john conway

Cheers Paul.
Chavender I'm looking at the condition factor and doing some comparisons against chub caught back in 1973 where the following formula was used: -
Weight = (C.F. x length cubed) where weight is in oz and length in inches.
I'm ignoring any fish which were in a bad condition as were the fish I'm comparing them against.
In my case I know the weight of all my chub its the condition factor I'm after.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

You can't have a fish weight calculator that applies to all species !

I just tried that one and it gave weights that were many times greater than the actual weight. It my biggest anguilla anguilla at 21 lb and my second biggest chub at 32 lb. So not really a lot of use!!!!

The Chub specific formula that is pretty good is length x girth x girth / 800 = weight in pounds

J

john conway

Where I?m coming from on this one is looking at the condition factor as a means of assessing potential growth. The problem is you need quite a lot of data from a decent range of fish, hence the reason for me to be able to include those Chub I?ve caught that I know the weight of but not the length. Scaling photos up in AutoCad is working quite well when I?ve got something in the picture that I know the size of. It?s a bit of an erroneous task back tracking though all my data, especially when I have to fit it in between writing Christmas cards and house work, not to mention actually going fishing as well. Our lass is down with flu at the moment and I need the brownie points for fishing during the Christmas break and for when she finds out I?ve nicked her dress makers tape!!!!
The whole idea is to get enough data from fish caught at approximately the same time of the year from a variety of club waters and then work out which one has the best potential for producing the largest Chub. If it works that will be the bit I keep to myself<G>. Unless of course you are a member of the Chub Study Group, this really is an excellent group with loads of information and good advice. You can also do the same by collecting scales, which is completely harmless to the Chub, and then counting the number of growth rings, however, I?ll leave that one for later.

J

john conway

I've just used the fish weight calculator on the link given by Chavender on a 5.75lb Chub I know the weight, length and girth of and it came out at 15.52lbs, not even close.
Andy's cal makes it 4.7lb that's with the length and girth in inches.

J

john conway

Ok I?m bored at work and I can?t go fishing tonight, I?ve got to go to our lasses running club Christmas Disco. Lots and lots of brownie points.

I?ve just received my latest copy of Chevin ?CSG Mag? and just to illustrate calculating weight by dubious fish weight calculators.

Actual weight, length and girth of a selection of Chub:-
5lb-15oz (5.93lbs) x 22? x 13.75?
5lb-02oz (5.125lbs) x 21? x 13.75?
4lb-04oz (4.25lbs) x 19.5? x 12.5?
6lb-12oz (6.75lbs) x 23? x 14.75?

Weight of the above fish via the weight calculator given in the link:-
17.12lbs
16.34lbs
12.54lbs
20.59lbs

Weight by Andy?s (length x girth x girth) / 800: -
5.19lbs
4.96lbs
3.8lbs
6.25lbs

Wouldn?t take much tweaking to get Andy?s formula more accurate, having said that though its probably easier just to weigh your fish in the first place. Unless you are interested in condition factors etc.
Have a nice day
The boss has just found me something to do which is even more boring than doing nothing Zzzzzzzzzzzzz