Cork & Blood

Dave German

Reaction score
Bought a new pike rod saturday with a full cork handle, used it sunday caught ny thumb on a pikes teeth so now i've got blood on the cork.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Not that it matters but you could first of all wash it in cold water if that doesn't work a rub down with very fine sandpaper may do it.. It depends if the cork has soaked it in or not but it will wear off eventually anyway even if you leave it as it is, daresay it will get more than that over the years.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

To clean a cork handle, use an old toothbrush and soapy water. Then rinse in clean water.

Personally I never bother cleaning cork handles these days.

Scouser

Reaction score
Hi dave..

A very fine reminder of catching a great predator, and on your new rod, wouldnt worry to much mate, like Graham says, with the dirt, sweat, and other things that are going to get on it in later years, the old blood will slowly vanish, bit of cold water and a rub should get the surface matter off, but yeah cork naturally absorbs so there isnt a heck of a lot you can do, but the sooner it was washed off, the better, the later marks will go with time mate.

Lee Swords

Reaction score
Its a badge of honour.

I have teeth marks in one of mine from the time I fell in the trent and had to swim/tumble/bounce/float to saftey with the rod in my mouth.

Dave German

Reaction score
I know, there will be more, been using neoprene grips for years & you cant see it on them, still it was a nice double, ever so well behaved, brushed my thumb over the bottom jaw, plenty blood.

W

Wolfman Woody

Despite what Scouser says, cork isn't a very good absorber of liquids, hence it's used on wine bottles.

I reckon a nailbrush and washing up liquid would get rid of it as it gets rid of most other stains and groundbait deposits. You can try a little bleach on it too.

It's amazing how long it takes for pike wounds to heal because of the enzime on their teeth. I often wonder if it's been analysed to see if the chemical will help heart problem patients.

F

Fred Bonney

Steady,don't start suggesting that,look what happened to Mr Nudd!

Scouser

Reaction score
Despite what woody thinks, Cork is porous, and there have been times when the wine in some bottles goes right through cork, because of air, and as we all know corks in a wine bottle are stuffed in tight, doesnt work the same on a open rod handle.

Good try tho Woody ;-)

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Don't start me on cork.

I worked for a few years for a company that imported cork from Portugal for the wine industry.

The main property of goodcork is that it is hydrophobic and will not allow aqueous based fluids ie; wine to pass through it. But it will allow a little bit of air, especially if you store the wine bottle in a vertical position.

But if you are putting wine down for a number of years you store the bottle in a horizontal position so that the cork remains wet, swells and prevents air getting into the bottle.

A top wine maker told me that air is the enemy of good wine. That's why a lot of wine producers are now using screw-on caps which actually give a better seal than cork.

If wine does escape though the cork it means one thing, the cork is of poor quality.

W

Wolfman Woody

"goes right through cork, because of air"

Ah, got it in one! Ron has it right. Normal wood such as pine would absorb it as it travels up the grain and stains as it goes. But the actual grain structure of cork prevent liquids, and therefore blood, from travelling any distance into it.

Come Christmas, save a wine cork from, say, a nice bottle of syrah (Shiraz is you Aussie plonk) or really good Morgon. Cut it in two and see for yourself how far the staining goes. If it's top quality cork it's as Ron says, just on the surface.

Hopefully the cork on Dave's handle is top notch.

DID YOU KNOW (sounds like the old radio programme): Champagne corks are made up of three different grades of cork.

E

EC

Cork can go off, that is when the wine gets bolloxed inside the bottle. Ask Sam Neill (jurassic park omen3) I think it was his vineyard that lost a whole years wine after bottling because of cork that had gone bad.

To answer the question, babywipes shift everything!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Most coarse fishing rods use quite average quality cork. You don't really need much better than that. The cracks in the cork are plugged up with a filler similar to the old plastic wood.

However the very best fly rods use top quality Portugese "Specie" cork which has very few flaws and is the sort of cork used for top quality red wines.

Champagne corks have to take an enormous amount of pressure due to the CO2 in the wine, so, as Jeff says, they have to be a special shape and strength. They use a mixture of natural cork and composite cork for rigidity.

The cork tree is a variety of the oak tree and for some reason grows best in Portugal where it is a major industry.

As long as wine drinkers want to hear the classic "pop" when the cork comes out of the bottle, cork will be used.

However to be truthful, modern sealing screw tops are actually better than cork.

It's a shame in a way.

But nothing, and I repeat: nothing, beats cork for a fly rod handle!

darkuser80

Reaction score
"However the very best fly rods use top quality Portuguese "Specie" cork which has very few flaws and is the sort of cork used for top quality red wines."

Could not agree with you more Ron, as an avid wine drinker,? clues in the name", I agree.
But at the moment the Portuguese cork industry and the associated employment, is in trouble and declining at a fast rate. Due to the use of artificial cork and screw on caps, and the "cork handle" business just wont keep it going. So much for improvement!

Dave German

Reaction score
Woody a few years ago i asked my gp if there was any thing that eould stop the bleeding coagualant, she said no but i thought boxers used somthing on cuts.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

If cork becomes unavailable for the fishing rod construction industry, I really don't know what will replace it.

Sure we have that horrid Duplon stuff which might be OK for abbreviated carp rod and salt water handles but for rods where you hold them most of the time, Duplon is bluudy rubbish.

Cork is an incredible natural material which if looked after, will last many many years. Its cool to the touch in summer and warm to the touch in winter. It looks aesthetically pleasing too.

But most of all it repels water and is virtually incompressable, thus transmitting the feel of the rod directly to your hand.

By the way, cork needs to breathe.

Many brand new rods have a covering of plastic on the cork. For goodness sake get rid of it or you will in time find fungus under it and the cork will start to rot.

A good cork handle over the years should show it's "battle scars" such as coagulated groundbait and sweat, slime and bankside dirt. That's why I never clean my cork handles.

C

Chris Bishop

Leave it on there, you should see the handles on some of my rods. As long as you can still grip them you're fine.

W

Wolfman Woody

"That's why I never clean my cork handles."

Ah well, that's different to me. I like to keep all my gear in tip-top condition, clean as a whistle and almost ready to sell. If you photograph rods for ebay, for gawd's sake clean the handle off first and I bet you'll get an extra ?5 on the bid!