Line counter

jollyboy

Reaction score
Anyone recommend an OK line counter that can be used for loading reels off bulk spool..... or any snazzy tips for loading reels and also judging what likes goes on each one....in the past I have just over killed and loaded reels and left odd bits on the line spools but times ate a little harder and thinking more about waste etc

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Have a look at this piece first on Centrepin loading

In it you'll find the calculation of Pi and the only thing to add is the ratio of the handle to turns of the spool. Remember though, circumference is harder to calculate on a fixed spool because it's smaller and fills much quicker meaning the circumference changes as it fills, but still better than nothing.

Circumference x Pi (3.14) x ratio (say 4.8 ) / amount of line required (this may have to be in inches or centimetres to suit you).

Last edited:

jollyboy

Reaction score
Have a look at this piece first on Centrepin loading

In it you'll find the calculation of Pi and the only thing to add is the ratio of the handle to turns of the spool. Remember though, circumference is harder to calculate on a fixed spool because it's smaller and fills much quicker meaning the circumference changes as it fills, but still better than nothing.

Circumference x Pi (3.14) x ratio (say 4.8 ) / amount of line required (this may have to be in inches or centimetres to suit you).

Interesting Jeff... I though of measuring what one rotation retrieves on a fixed spool reel per tern then count.... Just looking for something a little more accurate and a little more FOOL-proof:eek:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I had and used one of these some time ago.

Take a look on e-bay at: Item number: 400236291314

It clamps to the rod and was pretty accurate.

jollyboy

Reaction score
I had and used one of these some time ago.

Take a look on e-bay at: Item number: 400236291314

It clamps to the rod and was pretty accurate.

Now were talking sausages thank you Peter...I had come across them on sea angling sites but didn't think it would quite do it...(Under slung rather than over slung)