Sussex Ouse

Wilko

Reaction score
Alright fellas,

I want to fish the Sussex Ouse pretty soon, North and South of Lewes,probably for Pike and/or Chub. Has anybody any experience of fishing it and if so, what advice can you give? I've been told that the Anchor Inn and Barcombe Mills are worth trying.
Also, is there any other decent river fishing around the Eastbourne/Lewes area?
Thanks,

Martin

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
I used to be a member of Haywards Heath AA who have a fair amout of water on the Ouse, a bit further up than you are mentioning I think. They and the other clubs that control the river would be a good place start. For a small river it holds some surprisingly big fish.

Haven't fished Barcombe for years but it used to hold a lot of big fish of various species. Sea Trout, it was famous for but there were some very large Pike in there.

A bit further west, the Adur and Arun are still very good.

Stu

sussex river man

Reaction score
Thanks for the advise, i only live 10/15 mins away from barcombe mills so its nice and close :). i have been for a few walks around there and have identified several great swims. it really will make a nice change to fish there as the lake ive been fishing the last couple of years is such a pressured water and is very hard to fish.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Barcombe is a tidal stretch, I last fished it about five years ago and had some pretty good mixed bags, further upstream in the Isfield area used to be very good, I had some very decent carp to upper doubles from the stretch behind the cricket field. The river Uck is also a very nice water and I have had some good catches of roach and rudd from the Isfield Mill Stretch. These waters used to be available on the Isfield and District club card, as I haven't been a member for a few years I don't know how they are fishing at present. If you fish the Cricket field section then; early, late or night is the best bet in the summer as there are rowing boats rented from the local pub going up and down and they will drive you potty.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Once saw a bloke fishing in Lewes on a little platform just below a bridge catching plenty of small roach and bream. I tried fishing once or twice down stream of Lewes. Very steep bank and very tidal. Did not catch anything but, that's not to say it has no fish. I vaguely remember catching a couple of small roach I think. Long time ago. But, you are probably better off were you are.There's the Pevensey and Wallers Haven towards Hastings and the Cuckmere around Alfriston towards Eastbourne. Worth getting a ordinance survey map and checking it for bits of water. Plenty of dykes around. One I fished near Pevensey Castle once had some good roach in it. But, for all you will need to check for club, day tickets etc. I believe Tonys tackle in Eastbourne may help but, not sure if it still exists. It was a few years ago I fished in this area.

PS the local library worth a look for old "were to fish books" and ordinance survey maps in the reference section. I have often got plenty of info this way.

Last edited:

sussex river man

Reaction score
Barcombe is a tidal stretch, I last fished it about five years ago and had some pretty good mixed bags, further upstream in the Isfield area used to be very good, I had some very decent carp to upper doubles from the stretch behind the cricket field. The river Uck is also a very nice water and I have had some good catches of roach and rudd from the Isfield Mill Stretch. These waters used to be available on the Isfield and District club card, as I haven't been a member for a few years I don't know how they are fishing at present. If you fish the Cricket field section then; early, late or night is the best bet in the summer as there are rowing boats rented from the local pub going up and down and they will drive you potty.

Thanks for the reply, north of barcombe mills is non tidal i think? and yes the anchor inn is the pub that has boats for hire, there are various streams and drains around that stretch that looks like it might hold some nice chub, never really done much stalking before but looking forward to it, will make a change from carp fishing where i end up taking a van full of tackle (that i really dont need) and end up being surrounded by 'tackle tarts', i think carp fishing has become too popular for all the wrong reasons.