Floatfishing and Barbel

flightliner

Reaction score
What sort of tackle , bait , and approach do you use when fishing for Barbel with the float on your river?

sam vimes

Reaction score
15' Shimano Aerocast Specimen Match rod. 4000 Size Shimano match reel loaded with 10lb Ultima Flo-Cast. Cralusso Bolo floats. Hooks are usually ready tied Drennan Super Spades, 10s, 12s and 14s.
Feed hemp in good amounts and just a few maggots. Fish maggot over the top.

B

Berty

Half a pint of maggots is plenty on the Trent where the barbel are sooooo easy. ;)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I use a centrepin loaded with 6lb sensor straight through to the hook (either a barbed animal or super spade in sizes from 14's to 18's) combined with a 13ft normark avenger or drennan tench float rod. I vary my bait from maggots to casters to bread to corn, including cocktailes etc until I start to get bites.

barbelboi

Reaction score
For trotting a Harrison 15' Gti float rod, Drennan float fish .22mm on a BJ lightweight, on the business end a loafer or stick float, Drennan super spade (12/14). (For Stret pegging pretty much the same set up but fished well over depth and over shotted). Feeding hemp and maggots every few minutes, usually maggots/caster on the hook but will change to small bits of meat.
Jerry
PS Yet to try the Cralusso Bolo floats Sam, would you say they are mainly for big rivers?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Yet to try the Cralusso Bolo floats Sam, would you say they are mainly for big rivers?

Mainly, yes. However, I have used the smallest 3gram floats on smaller rivers with as little as a couple of feet of water. They are very strange to use but damned effective when you get over the strangeness. The big advantage in them is that they stay out where they are put and don't crab back inside.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Mainly, yes. However, I have used the smallest 3gram floats on smaller rivers with as little as a couple of feet of water. They are very strange to use but damned effective when you get over the strangeness. The big advantage in them is that they stay out where they are put and don't crab back inside.

Thanks for that Sam, my local t/s stock them so I'll go and have a closer look.
Jerry