Long casting ...

C

Chris Bishop

Those gravel pits are starting to look inviting now the weed's clearing, so it's more long range ecky thump can I get a bait to that gravel bar or not.

I've been PVA'ing leads to deads to make 'em go like little rockets. Sometimes, however, it either doesn't melt or it tangles on the way down.

Anyone got any new ideas - apart from wading, join the Ely Navy and buy a bait boat etc etc.

I usually use a frozen dead like a mackie tail, trout, herring head etc, 30 or 50lb braid, 30oz lead and 3lb tc fast-ish action rod.

I'm a reasonably capable caster (with a tail wind without a bait on...)

D

Dave O'L

If you've not already done it sounds like you may have to think about shock leaders, fishing pendulum & adapted pennell rigs, clipped down with bait shields?
Some of the bait elastic is getting quite fine these days, would it be fine enough for Pike?

R

Rob Brownfield

I take a lead and cut a small groove around it. Into this groove I place a short piece of Dacron and tie it so it goes around the lead and snugs up in the groove. Tie a loop in each end of the dacron, as close to the lead as possible. Now, tie the lead to a length of nylon, about 12 pounds and 2 feet long and tie a swivel on. Now, slide the swivel up the main line, add a bead and add a trace. Try and adjust the trace so the hooks are level with the lead when it hangs down.

Now the clever bit. Put a bait on the hooks and lay alongside the lead. Take the dacron loops around each side and tie them together with a wee bit of fast melt pva.

Now cast out.

The PVA melts normally as the lead is sinking, and because its denser than the bait, it hits bottom first, with no tangles.

Does that all make sense?

C

Chris Bishop

Sort of what I did - 3oz leads by the way - but I sometimes end up with lead and bait not separating.

Some of the PVA I've had before hasn't melted, as well. Mind you this is Norfolk.

A

Andy Doughty

What about looking into the winch rig that the catfishing boys use. I have no idea how it works but I think it involves throwing a dirty great lead out, clipped up to your line and then winching your bait out to it... Something like that. Far too complecated for us inbred Fen Boys.

Now where is my sister/cousin?...

R

Rob Brownfield

Andy, i tried that...what an effort!!! Its great for ultra long range livebaits, but with deadbaits it was a waste of time. My main fear was that as the bait is being pulled out to the lead, you could get a run. Say that run occurs 10 yards from the bank, and the lead is 100 yards away, your have 190 yards of line to wind in before u can hit the bait.

Chris...have u tried waders and a pair of stilts! :O)

C

Chris Bishop

Or walking round the other side of the lake and plopping it in the margins...

Yet another thing I have no reservations about admitting I'm next to hopeless at.

S

Scott Thomson

If you are using a 3oz lead and 3-4oz of bait you are overloading your rod, try to make either of them a bit smaller and end up with a casting weight of around 3-4oz. Also see if you can drop the diameter on your line/braid.
See if you can find a casting instructor and take a lesson or 2.
Have a look at some long distance sea fishing rigs and see if you can adapt 1 or 2 to suit.
Buy a bigger spooled reel, fit bigger rings to your rods, buy new rods and so on.
The main thing is to make your baits as streamlined as possible and make sure your casting technique is corect
Scott.

D

David Will

Chris I tried all that PVA business some years ago. One day I ran out and just cast the same rig without it, result no difference except a lot less swearing and a calmer me.
As long as you you use a lead slightly heavier than the bait it will cast like a bullet.The lead link must be the same or longer than the trace.It will not tangle , I guarantee you.
My rig is a low resistance run bead a large bead , swivel and crosslock , trace. Tied to the run ring is a a nylon link heavy enough not to snap on the cast ( I like amnesia) and a three ounce lead. My mailine is 30lb Whiplash.

C

Chris Bishop

Has anyone tried these new fluted leads..? They look like they'd twist your line up like a lady of ill repute's undergarments to me.

G

Gareth Hope

Why not try the old balloon and dift it out
using a hair slide thru your weight and braid line when you get to the spot just strike, and drop the bait on the spot.
No effort require no lost baits, no bait boats require,just party ballons. In winter there is always wind. Just one word of warning just watch out for a pike following it out and taking it on the drop. It does happen.

S

Steve Burke

Only one problem, Gareth, the balloons become litter. I'd much rather use a drifter float instead, but neither of these methods are practical if there are lots of depth variations and the pike are staying deep.

T

Tony O'dell

What are peoples thoughts relating to in line leads versus "normal" leads to increase casting distance...do they make the rig more stable/streamline, therefore increasing the distance cast. Regarding this debate, i have always been under the impression for distance casting either use a small bait/heavy lead, or big bait/light lead. Really it come up to adding up several limiting factor
The first factors relate to friction built up when casting. Variables affecting this would be:
1) Line Diameter ( Thinner would cast better)
2) Size of Spool on reel ( big pit reels better )
3) Size of Rods rings ( maybe?)
The second set of factors would relate to how streamline the rig is ( again friction issues, this time relating to air resistance)
1) Inline lead rig would seem more streamline
2) Larger fatter baits would be less streamline than thin baits
Lastly you would perhaps needs to look at your rod, and how you are casting it
Carp anglers tend to spend a lot of time searching for the ultimate casting range, many take casting lessons for this specific purpose. Also a lot has been wrote about the ability to compress a rod fully. With higher test curve rods this becomes increasingly difficult, with many anglers using the from the ground casting technique to achieve this. Also mentioned has been the recovery speed of the tip section of the rod, the faster it regains its normal shape, the faster it propels the bait through the air. Perhaps some input from Carp Angler ( Rik ) wouldnt go amiss here relating to distance casting techniques

C

Chris Bishop

I find small bait - 2oz roach, sprat, eel section etc with tail trimmed and a big lead goes out best.

I'm scared of deep hooking fish using small baits so it's a last resort.

I've used in-line leads, boom tubes etc but found they tangled.

R

Rob Boothby

You can hire my bloody Labrador if you like,she is now getting the hang of placing baits quite nicely!!