Some Great Articles From The FM Archives

Reaction score
Here's a few links to some great FM articles from the archives.

Wintles World (133 articles)

Lee Swords Articles - take a Look at Hemp The Demon Seed

Sean Meegahn Articles - always a lesson learned!

The Alternative Angler

Gary Knowles articles

There used to be a great rigs library with lots of rig ideas with illustrations and photos but I can't find it.

Enjoy

---------- Post added at 12:46 ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 ----------

I notice that many of the photos and illustrations in these articles have gone (lost a link?)

Could the techies fix it?

jollyboy

Reaction score

The Alternative Angler

Gary Knowles articles

There used to be a great rigs library with lots of rig ideas with illustrations and photos but I can't find it.

Enjoy

---------- Post added at 12:46 ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 ----------

I notice that many of the photos and illustrations in these articles have gone (lost a link?)

Could the techies fix it?

I have all ready read a lot of these articles....

It seems to me there are a fair few people that no longer use or are even members of the forum now who used to add some great stuff to the site....not wanting to drag up all the issues but was there a big fall out?

It strikes me as if things have changed and some people are craving the boil and bubble and lets say enjoyment that seems to have now gone???

Are these things now too far gone they are un-retrievable...or is it that the people are all too stubborn or set in there ways to build bridges or maybe the cuts are just too deep:confused:

Reaction score
"How can I browse through old articles?" some of may ask.

Well go to the FM home page and look top right.

You see a search function.

Click on the advanced search then fill in the search criteria.

It helps if you have an author's name or key words other than barbel or roach or fishing.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I have all ready read a lot of these articles....

It seems to me there are a fair few people that no longer use or are even members of the forum now who used to add some great stuff to the site....not wanting to drag up all the issues but was there a big fall out?

It strikes me as if things have changed and some people are craving the boil and bubble and lets say enjoyment that seems to have now gone???

Are these things now too far gone they are un-retrievable...or is it that the people are all too stubborn or set in there ways to build bridges or maybe the cuts are just too deep:confused:

As one of the regular writers - I did 200 articles in all, not all under my own name - what happened to me was my Commercial Fisheries series (not in Wintle's World) led to a book proposal and subsequently I ended up doing 4 books (270,000 words in total!) over the course of five years, contributing to three more and doing a few magazine articles. That lot left less inclination/time to do lots of articles though I did the odd one but no falling out as such.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Why are they now so hard to find? We used to be able to refer beginners to them, now they hope someone's going to post "How to fish for X in a wide range of waters" or similar.
Plus they were good for revision, especially when switching to a method one hadn't used for a while.
The archive of articles, rigsand such was one of the shining lights of FM, but someone seems to have parked a bushel over it... please re-illuminate, asap.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score

The Alternative Angler

Gary Knowles articles

Well, I am honoured to have been mentioned in company with such exalted (past) contributors.

Whilst their contributions were generally thought provoking, infromative or instructional, mine were mere amuse-bouche fill in pieces. I stopped writing a couple of years ago due mainly to personal factors but also in part due to the change in direction that FM seems to have taken.

My 'style' of writing is/was designed to be entertaining, and often included references to members, sometimes satirical, somrtimes sarcastic, but always tongue in cheek.

I am now in a position to be able to start writing again, but I feel that the general direction FM is being driven towards is not a suitable home for the type of articles I could/would write for them.

To illustrate this, I have a 'TickleTackle' piece ready to go, but I am not sure it would get editiorial approval, let alone get put up on the site. With that kind of doubt, I don't see the point of trying to contribute any more.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Hi Kevin, you and I have talked a bit about this a few times.

I truly think you are wrong as your style of writing is exactly what is needed on FM, now more than ever. I can't speak for the Editorial Team but I'd be very surprised and more than disappointed if your doubts were proven correct.

Anyway, I'm still advertising "Tickle Tackle" with the sticker so firmly attached to the back of my car! :)

Maybe submit an article under a pseudonym al la Ronnie Barker (alias Gerald Wylie)?? :D

mark barrett 2

Reaction score
Not being funny Kevin, but why dont you try sending them to Ian or me and let us decide whether we would like to use them or not rather than deciding for us?

Personally amusing and entertaining stuff is just what i would like to read and I dont mind references to other forum members so long as its not too cliquey

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Neil/Mark

Perhaps my comments were a little harsh, self doubt was/is always my 'specialite de jour'

I'll finish off the article, do the pics and send it in. Then its fingers crossed, I suppose

Bluenose

Reaction score
I'll finish off the article, do the pics and send it in. Then its fingers crossed, I suppose

Do you have to?

Look forward to it Kevin! My sticker too is still going strong, sadly the car will be going sometime soon!

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Hi Eddie

Do I have to do what?

Send in the article..........

Or cross my fingers........

!!!!!!!!!!!!!