Get Hooked On Fishing

I

Ian Cloke

Dozens of teenagers from Liverpool are getting hooked on fishing instead of getting into crime.

Throughout 2006 no fewer than 88 local youths have taken advantage of the national ?Get Hooked? initiative which is designed to introduce youngsters to the world of angling to help them stay out of trouble.

The Environment Agency is working in partnership with Positive Futures in Liverpool- one of 16 ?Get Hooked? projects across the country. (Positive Futures identifies young people aged between 11 and 18 years old who may benefit from its street based work, schools, or development programmes.)

Get Hooked On Fishing uses angling to tackle a number of issues that can affect juveniles such as social inclusion, offending and truancy. The scheme also identifies and develops Peer Mentors and provides pathways to other skills and employment opportunities for those who take part. And whilst it gives youngsters something to occupy their time, it also increases their awareness of the environment and the need to protect the countryside.

Nicki Rushton, Technical Fisheries and Recreation Team Leader, said: "Angling is good for our health, the economy and the environment. It is also proving to be good for self-esteem and well being. We have supported several projects that have shown that an interest in angling can also be a powerful and cost-effective way of tackling anti-social behaviour, educational under-achievement and youth crime."

The youngsters take part in a series of two hour lessons over a four week period, before enjoying a whole day of fishing. Many then go on to benefit from becoming a Peer Mentor, encouraging others to take up angling.

"It?s the best project I have ever been involved with. Not only have I fished on the Wirral, Severn, in Durham and France, but I teach younger kids how to fish and help them if they have trouble at home or school." (15 year old Peer Mentor)

Anyone who is interested in getting involved can contact Dave Verburg, ?Get Hooked? Co-ordinator, on: 0151 207 6003.