All year rounder...

C

Chris Bishop

Purely out of interest - and not to make a political point - how many people fish for them all year round, as opposed to the traditional Oct - March "Pike Season"..?

Colin Brett

Reaction score
I don't usually fish out of season, but if one hangs on when Trouting, well that's another story
Colin

S

Steve Burke

I do a little lure fishing for pike in the summer on my own lakes. I allow piking only by invitation, and don't allow anything but lures June to September so that the pike can go back quickly when water temperatures are high.

I don't condemn bait fishing for pike in the summer, but won't take a chance of losing pike on my own water and thus upsetting the predator/prey balance.

I fish for pike a fair bit up to about the middle of May when I get more interested in traditional summer species.

S

Steve Moore

I fish for pike all year round with lures,
and have been doing so for the last five years. I play the pike as quickly as possible during the summer months and do not weigh them or take photos unless it is an exceptional fish, every pike i have caught during the warmer months has swam off without a problem.I think problems arise when people use to light tackle and end up playing the fish for to long.

C

Carp Angler

No, no, no Steve.
If you use lighter tackle, you can land them quicker.
I know, Rob told me it was true.
(ducks below desk to avoid missiles)

P

Peter Waller

Late March, April, May & June, the close season proper, is to my way of thinking, sacrosanct.

R

Rob Brownfield

Rik...never said that did i!! I actually said that the difference between a 3 pound test curve and a 1.5 tc was negligable when on full lock (Kevin Maddocks proved that) and that a lighter rod will not tear hooks out of a carps mouth!! And we were talking CARP...not proper fish!! lol

I fish all year round for Pike, but my waters probably are a good few degrees cooler anyway, and very deep where temps are more stable right through the year. I have recorded 7 degrees C on Lomond in August!..Brrrr

I have done this now in Scotland for around 15 years, and I can't ever recall a problem..and believe me, Highland pike fight a damn sight harder then there Southern brothers.

N

Nicky Garbutt

i lure fish all year but i have a few rudd fishing days in the summer.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I target pike in the traditional season (Oct to March) and opportunist (mainly) pike fish at other times.

D

David Will

Traditionalist.
Too much else to fish for in Summer , only exception is rare visits to Rob Brownfields neck of the woods in August.
Must be something in my genes as this year I started Piking in October as usual but packed it in as sitting in shorts and a t shirt didn't feel right. Now today when it was 5 degrees and I was wrapped up like a mummy was more like it.

M

Martin Royffe

I look forward to october best time of the year for me.

C

Carl Harrison

I lure fish all year. As to the close season, well pike generally spawn a month or so ealrier than the rest of coarse fish (so their young can feed on the eggs/young of others). With this in mind should we not be allowed to fish the rivers for pike all year round??

Carl

A

Andy Doughty

It the bank side vegetation that needs a rest as well as the fish. On a 'managed' fishery then the problems can be dealt with, but 'wild' waters do need a break from us.

M

Martin Godliman

As I only like to lure fish all year round the summer has become my new tradition,because it is more productive.
Martin.

P

Phil Heaton

Summer mornings and evenings are just made for lightweight lure fishing, perch, chub and jacks being the main targets. Surface lures fished with a heavier rod over lilly pads and around bullrushes also gives explosive sport. I never start bait fishing until October for pike but love to livebait minnows etc. for perch and chub in the summer.

J

Jonathan Faro

sorry but can someone explain tome if/how lure fishing is better then bait fisshing forpike during the warmer months. Mainly because I want to spin plug away in the summer nad dont want to risk the pikes welfare and also I am hoping to target perch and chub in the summer. also when is it OK to fish for Zander

ta

jon

D

Denis Goulding

Well i fish for pike from october to 14th of feb as the trout fishing on corrib here in ireland starts on the 15th only 4 day's to go yahoo...but i am going to have a good go at the pike in blessington lakes co.wicklow ireland this year as the trout trollers i hear catch a lot of big pike during the summer,anyone out there would like to give me a helping hand for the summer months on how to catch pike trolling spinning etc.
Regards,
DENIS..

C

Chris Bishop

I'm not sure if lure fishing's better for catching bigger fish but it's certainly a good way to have fun with the smaller ones.

J

Jonathan Faro

chris you may have misunderstood what I said I wanttoknow hiw spinning would have a less detrimental affect on the pikes health cos pike fisherman observe an unofficial closed season to protect them then bait fishing would have

jon