Do You Really Want To Know

John Ledger (ACA)

Reaction score
Call me old fashioned but i have little interest in the above and prefer to work things out for myself.If someone is fishing a swim i have fished before well so be it i move to another for the challenge
Too many anglers are pre occupied with what some of the egos in angling are using and promoting for self gain
Do you really want to know what peg line hook reel rod and baitmix,have we all got lazy and where is the pioneering spirit of old.
Could it be me that is living in a time warp?

Steaker de Lurker

Reaction score
I agree John, I take everything I think I'm going to need and enough to experiment.
Those who 'travel light' deserve to sit with their 'thumbs up their bums' while everyone else is having fun.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I have lost count of the times people have emailed me, or asked me what a good barbel peg is on the Trent.

I normally tell them to go out and found out for themselves.

Locating your own fish is part of watercraft and the art of angling. It seems there are many who do not want to do this.

Why, I cannot understand.

Michael Howson

Reaction score
If like me you take a passing interest in the match results in the angling press you will see the same names framing over and over again on the same venues. It must seem like getting up in the morning to go to work with the fish as your mates as you will be on first-name terms with them. Much better as John and Ron do and seek out swims and new areas. I will be out with John for a few hours tomorrow in an area new to me and i cant wait to get on the bank and have a good look round although we will be on familiar ground on saturday.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Always worth finding your own fish. Its part of the enjoyment. If i am traveling to a water not fished before all i want is size and average depth so as to bring the right gear. The rest i want to learn myself. Watercraft is becoming a dieing art.

Michael Howson

Reaction score
I must also say that prior knowledge is a big advantage. John has put me on some of his banker pegs over the last couple of seasons and id like to think ive repaid that kindness by taking some good catches of chub and grayling and the odd barbel so it helps to have a friend with you that knows the score.

I

Ian Cloke

I totally agree John, what's the point of going if you already know what and how to expect to catch?

John Ledger (ACA)

Reaction score
That is one problem with the internet,it gives away info to easily too idle anglers who would never know what an Ordnance Survey map is and who are never willing to do any spadework.
I have a problem with these anglers

B

Bill Cox

Nice to see you've got your strength back John. Keep firing from the hip mate.

P

Phil Hackett The ostrich pie hater

Naughty, naughty, naughty John!
The last time me and Baz stated this the Wolf Pack attacked us. We beat them off with big sticks but it was an epic battle to do this. I hope you?ve got the thick leather patches sown in on the ar*e of your britches, as they?ll be after you, that?s for sure!

But still agree with you about freeloading load of wasters!

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
When I was younger I was always after the established hot peg. How many can honestly say they were different?

Now though, A little older and hopefully a little wiser; the joy in fishing is NOT fihing the hot peg, or the hot method, or 'going' bait, or anything like that.

It's about pretty well the opposite of all that. But despite that, I catch more now than I ever did.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Steady on John. We don't want to be upseting the natives do we? It is well known that those who shout for publication of hotspots are the most secretive of the lot.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

While it's nice to get some inside info (fish species and preferred baits) about a venue you've never fished before. Surely part of the enjoyment of fishing somewhere new is applying your own skills and watercraft to get the best from it otherwise there's no sense of achievement.

John Ledger (ACA)

Reaction score
Could not agree more Frank.

Phil
Bring the arseoles on i am ready for em unless they need directions to find the thread.The word piscatorial never ever applied to them

Bill
Cheers mate,if i loose any more weight i will get in the house through the letter box

Michael Howson

Reaction score
Its true there is much satisfaction to be gained from sorting out your own pegs. I walked the banks of the river rother in the country park a few times and found a few nice pegs albeit with poor access and steep banks but once down to the waters edge they are ok. Not all were productive but ive taken some nice chub and roach and the odd big perch and im sure most of the fish were first time captures.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
How much information you want on a plate, or how much you wish to work out for yourself is up to each angler. I think there's more merit in doing it for yourself, but if you're new to a method, or don't get to fish often I don't see what the problem is.

Don't forget, there was a time when all of us knew nothing about angling. We pick up information from other anglers, magazines, books, the internet, the TV, the local tackle shop, match results and so on. Then we add a dash of our own experience, apply all this information in our own way.

I think there's a balance that we all have to find for ourselves.

John Ledger (ACA)

Reaction score
The internet is too free with advice for some idle anglers who can only do things in life parrot fashion and go from A to B without ever knowing the reason they are going from A to B.
Anybody see the letter in the Angling Star from the fellow who wanted to know the location of one anglers hotspots.
I wrote did he need a taxi to take him down,(free of course).
Any self respecting angler gets his info from either talking to other anglers or watching them but the best way is to MAKE mistakes and LEARN from them

Matt Brown

Reaction score
John, I agree about how the internet can be an issue and I completely agree with you about the guy's letter in AS.

Refering to your first post, where I don't agree is that, sometimes, I enjoy reading about the tactics that other people use and applying that aquired knowledge in the future. I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

The fact is, no matter how many books, magazine or internet threads we read we'll never know it all. That's one of the great things about the sport.

Deanos

Reaction score
Dear Ron,
Can you tell me a good peg to fish on the Trent for Barbel, what bait and tactics to use, and can I come to live at your house for the summer, don?t get me up until 11am please as I am not good at doing mornings, you can pick up my pies and monster munch whilst you pick up my Giro.

Thanks mate....oh while I remember...got any free bait Ron ta very much, Deanos.

E

Eric Hayes

John, the worst ones are the ones that bum every one for their hard earned knowledge then once they have it they make out like they did it all themselves and give no credit to anyone. What I find about this type, because they didn't earn their knowledge the hard way but got it handed to them on a plate will tell all and sundary the going method/bait/area with out a second thought....