How Many?

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
I was reading angling times today at work and love just looking at the pictures of the fish(i can't read ya see) and i often wondered how many different species there are?

When i first started fishing i wrote a list of the fish i wanted to catch i have only 4 left on it to catch, which is Zander, catfish, Graylin and a marlin... (i know a marlin is a dream fish but i still wanna catch one).

So come on tell me how many species there are so i can add to my list...

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Cue Mark W.........

(31 species? Thirty One? - Not that I harbour grudges or I'm bitter or anything!)

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
In freshwater (not including sea fish on the tidal bits) in this country I've had
dace
roach
tench
carp
crucian
goldfish
grass carp
barbel
chub
silver bream
bronze bream
bleak
gudgeon
loach
bullhead
eel
pike
perch
ide
black bass
minnow
grayling
seatrout
salmon
rainbow trout
brown trout
rudd
stickleback
ruffe
pumpkinseed

and that still leaves a load yet to catch.

P

paul williams 2

I reckon that if i really wanted to i could catch all those in a season, no problem.......but what i have to ask my self is do i want quantity or quality???

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Didn't take long for MW to home in on this one did it!

Just thinking, I've never caught a:

Zander
Catfish (lost one though)
Grass Carp
Loach
Bullhead
Pumpkinseed
Shad

And what about all the sea fish?

And I started fishing when I was 6 years old!

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
There are usually quite a few Pumpkinseeds around in the aftermath of Halloween.

If I ever catch a Schelly, a Vendace or a Thwaite Shad, I'll be in angling heaven.

That can only be supassed if I catch an Eel-pout. Otherwise known as a Burbot. I wonder if Angling Times are still offering a reward to anyone who catches one?

David Craine

Reaction score
In the UK, I still have to catch..
Zander
Catfish
Salmon
Char
Koi Carp
Loach
Bullhead
Twait Shad
Allis Shad
Pumpkinseed (whats that )
I have landed most sea fish in uk waters, except..
Sunfish
Porbeagle Shark
Thin lipped Mullet
Golden Mullet
Trigger Fish
Sole
Megrim

I dont usually target specific Sea species, except Shark,Bass,Cod, Mackerel or Conger
usually being happy to land whatever comes along.

T

The Monk

the complete list should read, including the esturine, introduced and variety types;

Wels catfish
Aristotle Catfish
Channel catfish
dace
roach
tench
wild carp
king carp
crucian
goldfish
grass carp
barbel
chub
silver bream
bronze bream
bleak
gudgeon
stone loach
spiney loach
bullhead
eel
pike
perch
American Pike-perch
ide
black bass
minnow
grayling
sea trout
salmon
rainbow trout
brown trout
char
american brook trout
rudd
3 spined stickleback
10 spined stickleback
ruffe
pumpkinseed
river lampery
powan
vendace
Schelly
bitterling
sturgeon (3 species recorded)

in addition to this we also have a number of tropical sps which breed and survive and UK waters

T

The Monk

and zander of course

as a point of interest we have in the northwest for many years had thriving populations of Bittering, while the St Helens canal held many exotic species for many years, Chiclids being fished for by anglers on a regular basis

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Now i need to buy a book to see what these look like to know if i've caught them or not!

And also to find out where i can catch them all.

cheers guys i've got a few to go at there now :)

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
wendy,come along to the next fishing magic catfish fish in at beaver farm,east grinstead,next summer.
target the cats at night and fish the other lakes and back brook during the day for the many other species.
there is a write up on this years event...take a look.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Monk, you didn't mention Shebunkins. I've caught shebunkins you know, in the Warwickshire Avon.

Obviously escapees from someone's garden pond.

Where have you caught black bass in England Mark? Large mouth or small mouth?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

By the way mate, an American Pike/Perch is commonly called a Walleye.

Stizostedion vitreum

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
There's also cucumber smelt (related to whitefish).

Had the largemouth bass at a pond stocked by Leney in 1935 in Dorset. They died out in the early 80's. They were in two more ponds but I have no evidence they are still around. Not convinced walleye still in this country either.

I

Ian Cloke

Do a google search for British fish records Wendy, it should come up with something helpful.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Largemouth Bass prefer warm water. I am surprised that they managed to survive in our climate.

There are small mouth bass here of course, expecially in a gravel pit near Mildenhall US Airforce Base in Norfolk, stocked by certain US Airforce personnell some time ago.

There is no doubt that smallmouth bass would find the English climate to their liking. They prefer cool running water.

Small mouth bass fight like hell, are avid takers of lures and flies and are extremely good eating. I miss them a hell of a lot and have caught them in SA up to large sizes, even by USA standards, over the years. I would class them as one of the world's hardest fighting freshwater fish.

However they are extremely aggressive predators and if they got into British river systems they would cause mayhem amongst the silverfishes.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

I've always thought Walleye was the American name for Zander. The pics I've seen of them they look identical.