Tom Tom Navigators..

David Craine

Reaction score
I have recently come across an interesting item about Tom Tom Navigators (and other makes_)
It is a common practice to take them from your windscreen and put them in a glove compartment when leaving your car......Well Dont.
Anyone with a Bluetooth Mobile phone,can pick up signals from the Tom Tom signal reciever and show up the location on the Bluetooth mobile screen, a friend tried this,in a Supermarket car park, and yes it can be done,we found 4 cars with navigators which were hidden away .
Toerags dont generally nick road maps, but it seems that this new technology will help thieving gits to locate your tom tom and maybe have it away.
I dont have one myself, I find them irritating and practically useless, but, if you do have one, well just be aware.

njb51

Reaction score
Did you know you that you can use someones bluetooth phone signal and get their phone to call you, so that you can listen to that persons conversation.

L

little sister ( Jeff )

David Craine does this apply to sat nav's that are turned off ?
You may not like them but I find mine very useful as I drive all over the country and yes I can read a map and have done for some 15 years or more.

M

MarkTheSpark

It can only applied to sat navs which use Bluetooth to connect to the aerial - hard-wired aerial systems won't be detectable, and as you rightly say, a navigator that's not equipped with Bluetooth cannot emit a Bluetooth radio signal, turned off or otherwise.

Just the sight of the sat nav mount is enough to persuade these people to break in, so take the mount off a clean off the little ring of grime it leaves behind.