loving carping

kidfisher

Reaction score
ok so i am a alround angler ad go for anything that will bite!
yesteday me and a mate were fishing at eyekettleby lakes (which i highly recommend by the way ,great baconbuttys,) and i had been getting some smalish carp and bream using a smalish feeder with sweetcorn and the tackle shops ownbrand groundbait (it is the BEST) andi hooked what felt like a beast and after playing it (well it pplaying me) it took half my 200m line then snapped the hook, swivels and feeder (costing me a fair few bob) but this has given me a feeling i want another big carp but what line will i need (8 pounds at the moment) hook size ect!

uscarper

Reaction score
it depends on if theres snags or not, if where your fishing has no snags{i know someone on here will have a differing opinion, so this is how i do it}no snags i use 10 or 12lb mono. if there snags i use 20lb mono. i never use the braided lines like spiderwire, some of the reasons ,it will eventually wear a groove in your rod guides. no stretch , sometimes this is a good thing,hooking fish at long distances. if you use a fairly heavy rod you will get a lot of hook pulls, especially right under your rod when trying to net fish. knots are hard to tie with it. its expensive. hooks your sizes are different there than here in U.S. i use a gamagotsu, octopus hook in size 4. there is alot of good hooks out there. i also use a eagle claw no.4 also. hoped this helped you some. hope you hook into a big one.

kidfisher

Reaction score
its no real snags only near the island which the carp went no where near! ive attached some 12pound and bouht some (uk) size 14 hooks only a size bigger but now ive got 20,18,16,14,10 so a good mixture :):)

noknot

Reaction score
Hi KF, and welcome to FM and Carp angling! Do you know the average size of the Carp in your lake? You say that you have been useing 8lbs mono, which should be fine, but your hook size seems a too small. I would use size 8 and above for Carp of over 10lbs, with a size 6 as my preference, which would match you're 8lbs line better IMO.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Also, if it did strip off 100m of 8lb line without being checked it may well have been hooked somewhere other than the mouth.
Jerry

uscarper

Reaction score
good point b.b. accidently snagged one in the tail once, thought i had a 50lber for sure until i finally got him to the bank weighed about 16lb i recall..lol:D

kidfisher

Reaction score
the average size will very as there is 8 lakes but my prefered lake is a ex match lake that has been left for the fish to grow as it is full! so 12 pounds and under and i have found that everyone else is using massive hooks and not caught but a mate uses little ones and catchs everytime so im just using his advice! ive asked at the local tackle shop and said that there is large tencg in the lake and that it could have easily just caught a tench in the tail! my mate also uses maltesers!! he catches but fishes there alot sice his retirment so knows this lake:)
thanks KF

greeny1321

Reaction score
good point b.b. accidently snagged one in the tail once, thought i had a 50lber for sure until i finally got him to the bank weighed about 16lb i recall..lol:D

On one of my local commercials when I was float fishing for tench I hooked into what felt like a 20 pound carp, it weighed 8 pounds lol but a hook in the tail sure makes em pull harder.

kidfisher

Reaction score
a friend had one where he was fishing with two rods and they both went off at once!he called me over and said this one is lighter so i took it and it seemed to follow his other rod (his rod had lighter line than the one i had if i recall) and it snapped so i passed mine over to him and tended back to my own rod! but to cut a long stroy short this bream had hooked into both hooks! one in the tail and one in the mouth and he got his feeder back from this breams tail! he was the laughing stock of the river!!!
KF

uscarper

Reaction score
yes its amazing how that hook in the tail will turn a small fish into a nuclear powered submarine...lol saw a guy at our dayticket catfish lake hook a 20lb shovelhead in the tail, it fought like the devil. he was bragging how he had a 70lber hooked and how he was going to hit the 70lb and over jackpot wich was around 5000dollars at the time. kind of felt sorry for him, when he netted it. but what a fight. even on heavy surf gear it took 20 minutes to get it in.