Warm & Waterproof mid length winter coat ??

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
Something thats bugged me for years & decided may do something about it. I dont know about anyone else but i find 3/4 length jackets a pain in the @rse. They may be warm & waterproof (Trakker Tundra is the latest purchase & no complaints on qaulity) but once sat down on my low chair i have all this bulky material bunched up around me. It makes moving about a bit of a challenge.

So, .......... does anyone do a mid length jacket (just below belt line) jacket that is warm & waterproof & so suitable for depths of winter. I'm not overly keen on elasticated bottoms of jacket (a la' latest Sundridge Igloo) so straight fit would be ideal

Last edited:

watatoad

Reaction score
Not sure whats on offer at the moment but ex-military winter wear is generally pretty good.

barbelboi

Reaction score
A good bib n brace, decent normal length jacket (I use Preston Dri Fish) and as many layers under to suit the temperature usually does it for me.
Jerry
PS And a pair of Skee-tex -50’s for the feet.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
hi, mr numb,
I don't think you will find many winter coats that are not 3/4 length mate.
take a look on the harris angling website they do some cracking deals on there(that's where I bought my baby bait runners from) the service is superb and postage is free too!

hope that helps mate

mark

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
IF you want a 'waist' length jacket then I think trout fishermen use this sort of thing.

I have just looked in the 'Sportfish' catalogue (Autumn/Winter 2011) and they have all sorts made by companies like Snowbee, Greys, Simms and Patagonia PLUS fleeces and trousers to match some jackets.

The jackets are definitely waist length and have all the usual features like hoods and multiple pockets etc.

If you go to the Sportfish website you should be able to request a catalogue which also contains tons of trout gear including flies etc etc

Hope this helps!

ps Jackets not cheap but then quality never is......

pps Trouble with short jackets is that every time you bend over (to unhook a 15lb barbel ) you get a gap above the trouser waistline which can be chilly in winter...

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I'm with Jerry on this. A good bib & brace & proper layering is essential topped off with [in my case] a good fleece or two. I dont like coats of any description when I'm sat,sitting.If I need an outer layer its a Hardy EWS Soft shell for me....fantastic piece of kit and well worth a look. Warm,lightweight,properly wind resistant and cut longer at the back to stop draughts but waistband length in front.

Tee Cee is right about the game gear. I'm a game fisherman too and there is some seriously good gear around but it is very expensive.Simms & Patagonia make some superb extreme condition stuff but be wary of wading jackets...they are cut very short.

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
Yep, i have Bib & Brace & excellent breathable layering kit, but just sometimes i find i need that extra heavyweight item as top layer and needs to be waterproof

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I foung the same problem and finnished up getting a waterproof, windproof fleece (although it doesn't look like fleece) jacket from TFG. It's in a realtree type pattern and has a good padded / lined hood with a zip up front. It's waterproof (but who knows how long for). I think it cost me about £50 and I think it's worth it.
Another jacket i have is a british army gortex jacket that is totally waterproof and windproof in british camo pattern. Although it's only thin it is warm but the good thing is it isn't restricting, has a double zip to stop any prob's sitting and you can put layers on underneath to cover the conditions/ temp's rather than having one big lumpy coat whatever the temp's.

Last edited:

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
I foung the same problem and finnished up getting a waterproof fleece (although it doesn't look like fleece) jacket from TFG. It's in a realtree type pattern and has a good padded / lined hood with a zip up front. It's waterproof (but who knows how long for). I think it cost me about £50 and I think it's worth it.

Sounds interesting. I dont suppose you know which "model" fleece it is ??

bigchub

Reaction score
I have a Trakker Nordic 3/4 length jacket and bib n brace and I can't fault it. Was only £99 for both plus the removable fleece lining so you basically get 3 pieces of clothing for 2. I've never been so warm in the winter! I've got a pair of Sundridge hot foot boots as well and they really are the business.

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
I have a Trakker Nordic 3/4 length jacket and bib n brace and I can't fault it. Was only £99 for both plus the removable fleece lining so you basically get 3 pieces of clothing for 2. I've never been so warm in the winter! I've got a pair of Sundridge hot foot boots as well and they really are the business.

I have something similar in the Trakker Tundra suit, but its a 3/4 jacket. I dont want a jacket this long :eek:mg::eek:mg:;)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
A good bib n brace, decent normal length jacket (I use Preston Dri Fish) and as many layers under to suit the temperature usually does it for me.
Jerry
PS And a pair of Skee-tex -50’s for the feet.

Totally agree, I also use the Dri Fish Bib and Brace and Jacket, the Dri Fish 1000 being the best. A shirt/T shirt plus a fleece is enough for me underneath.

I don't like Ski-tex boots though preferring a Thinsulate pair that I've had for the past 2 seasons.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sounds interesting. I dont suppose you know which "model" fleece it is ??

Sorry CN I don't know the name of it now (there's none written on it appart from TFG). I'm pretty sure if you email or phone Fishtec they'll most likely tell you as there's only two of them in that style. One has a hood (mine) and the other doesn't.

I've just found it and it's only £39.99 now.

http://www.fishtec.co.uk/ShowProductsFromSearch.cfm

Last edited:

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
Sorry CN I don't know the name of it now (there's none written on it appart from TFG). I'm pretty sure if you email or phone Fishtec they'll most likely tell you as there's only two of them in that style. One has a hood (mine) and the other doesn't.

I've just found it and it's only £39.99 now.

Error Page

Thanks mate :)

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
IF you want a 'waist' length jacket then I think trout fishermen use this sort of thing.

I have just looked in the 'Sportfish' catalogue (Autumn/Winter 2011) and they have all sorts made by companies like Snowbee, Greys, Simms and Patagonia PLUS fleeces and trousers to match some jackets.

The jackets are definitely waist length and have all the usual features like hoods and multiple pockets etc.

If you go to the Sportfish website you should be able to request a catalogue which also contains tons of trout gear including flies etc etc

Hope this helps!

ps Jackets not cheap but then quality never is......

pps Trouble with short jackets is that every time you bend over (to unhook a 15lb barbel ) you get a gap above the trouser waistline which can be chilly in winter...

hey up tee cee, you need a re-mortgage to by stuff out of the sportfish catalogue!! I have wanted a pair of simms gore-tex waders for ten years and I am still waiting for the bank manager to stop laughing!! seriously though, I have spent some real daft money with sportfish and one thing I know is that they don't sell rubbish.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Mark: I know what you're saying! I only buy the odd flies for coarse fishing from them as I don't do trout-anything else I buy online otherwise divorce would be on the cards..

I still cannot see why 'Comfortably Numb' needs this a jacket so short (what I would class as bumfreezer jackets!) if he want to keep warm and why he finds longer models so restricting.........................
Then I had a thought! Maybe, just maybe, he is trying to fit too much body into the longer jacket and it ends up wrapped around him once he's down on his chair!! Not to suggest that he is too well built (or even overweight!) but I do remember when I had a few extra pounds on me I found fishing in winter with all the extra weight clothing a real bind. Most times it was difficult to cast, let alone carry the gear....

Anyway, I think the short jackets will prove a waste of money if its warmth and comfort he wants IMHO

Add several smilie things here!!

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
Mark: I know what you're saying! I only buy the odd flies for coarse fishing from them as I don't do trout-anything else I buy online otherwise divorce would be on the cards..

I still cannot see why 'Comfortably Numb' needs this a jacket so short (what I would class as bumfreezer jackets!) if he want to keep warm and why he finds longer models so restricting.........................
Then I had a thought! Maybe, just maybe, he is trying to fit too much body into the longer jacket and it ends up wrapped around him once he's down on his chair!! Not to suggest that he is too well built (or even overweight!) but I do remember when I had a few extra pounds on me I found fishing in winter with all the extra weight clothing a real bind. Most times it was difficult to cast, let alone carry the gear....

Anyway, I think the short jackets will prove a waste of money if its warmth and comfort he wants IMHO

Add several smilie things here!!

Lol.
I'll have you know i am within the acceptable healthy weight to height ratio ..........just :p:p.

Its all the bunched up material of a longer jacket when sat down that i dont like. My bum wont freeze as i wear bib&brace and i'm sitting on it :D

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Maybe the chair is a mite small......................I've found the upholstered arms get in the way on occasion!!

CN: Anybody I've ever talked to has said they are of a 'healthy' weight Hahahaha.................Take my wife.......

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
It might be worth looking at walking gear rather than fishing gear. Go Outdoors do a Berghaus and a North Face jacket in olive green for around £70. These are just the right length to wear with a bib and brace and if you get them a size big you can wear extra layers underneath to keep warm in Winter. These jackets are waterproof and breathable with taped seams and are probably beter made than most fishing wear.