worst tackle on market

chubby48

Reaction score
to it has to be ---dragon carp---what ****---it should be re named dragon **** :( :(

bennygesserit

Reaction score
no worst on the market is the "trout" starter kit in poundland

Chubby did you buy something duff ?

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Tickel-Tackle The range is too limited with poor availability and the prices are extortionate.
If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it. Do you realise how many years waiting list there is to get a simple small tackle box for weights and floats etc? It's a shorter time to get a Morgan car.

sam vimes

Reaction score
It's been my experience that, generally speaking, you get what you pay for. That's not to say you have to spend fortunes to get good tackle or that you can't get really good kit for a relatively modest amount (Drennan Red Range is a good example). Cheaper prices usually gets you inferior stuff. That applies to just about any consumer item you care to mention.

There are bargains to be had from those that would rather sell lots of gear to make their money rather than charge premium prices, modern Shakespeare springs to mind. It can also pay to look at less popular brands that are trying to break into a market. They often do superior product at reduced prices in the effort to break in to a new market (Spro comes to mind at this time).

Even the likes of Dragon Carp come up with an acclaimed gem (for the money) once in a while. Just look at the fuss made of the Marco Cortesi Centrepin. I'm afraid that I'd still not touch the vast bulk of their stuff with a bargepole.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Tickel-Tackle The range is too limited with poor availability and the prices are extortionate.

Oh dear Corkers.

TickleTackle is not normally a litigious company, but in the face of such a blatant slur on our good name we will make an exception for you.

'Tackle you never knew you wanted at prices you will find hard to believe' is our proud slogan and we stand by it. The stratospheric prices we charge are entirely justified by the depth of research and development we undertake on behalf of our clients.

'Availability' is a misnomer with our products, if someone commissions an article, we will make it. All of our products are bespoke, you wouldn't want to raise a second mortgage to become the proud owner of a TickleTackle item only to find the bloke next to using the very same item - would you? (some of that statement may be subject to change, keep an eye on press for details.....)

As to the libel, Corkers, be assured that our boys will be round. They will be the ones in the Bentley Continentals, we like to do our goods and chattels removal in style.

greeny1321

Reaction score
It's been my experience that, generally speaking, you get what you pay for. That's not to say you have to spend fortunes to get good tackle or that you can't get really good kit for a relatively modest amount (Drennan Red Range is a good example). Cheaper prices usually gets you inferior stuff. That applies to just about any consumer item you care to mention.

This. I rarely pay much over about 40 or 50 quid for a new rod for example as I believe that is around the point where the extra money gets you diminishing returns. I'm my collection of gear I have 2 maver carp rods that were 40 quid each, a shakespeare tip rod that cost 15 quid and a grandeslam waggler rod that cost abotu 30. The tip rod does the job but is a bit poop but the others I am perfectly happy with and dont plan to replace them anytime soon. The tackle tarts have alot to answer for, theres no need to be spending silly money on tackle to get decent quality stuff although I'll admit I do have some expensive kit that I treated myself to but it is overkill, I could have paid half as much and still got decent stuff.

xenon

Reaction score
"buy cheap, pay twice" dont see the point in that! Would far rather bite the bullet (even if it means waiting awhile till I can afford it) for quality gear-stuff the works and works beautifully-so that you can forgot about it and concentrate on the job in hand.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
for rods there are some great rods out there that don't cost the earth

reels - you get what you pay for - have bought cheapish reels and regretted it - pay as much as you can for a reel and it will last you years

Simon K

Reaction score
"buy cheap, pay twice" QUOTE]

2 Abu Garcia "Red Wolf" 1lb Q/tip rods at £25 each. Known to the cognescenti as "Jelly Rods".:)
They look pretty naff, but by god they're the best tip rods for chub and snatching bits I've ever owned. A bargain (as was). They're now re-branded and have leapt up to £35, I think? :D

Badger? Much maligned, but I had one of their adjustable chairs which lasted 8 years, was damned comfortable and is much missed. Similarly I had a Badger Oval with winter skin, the former has just been replaced with their new Oval (after 8 years use), the skin is still going strong. There's sometimes some good stuff in the "bargain bin" if you keep your eye on Reviews. ;)

Worst tackle? I can think of individual items, but not particular brands.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I ahve a Dragon carp Rod pod - light, easy to put up and holds 3 rods, comes with padded case cost £30 or £40

Does the job but doesn't look the part - still as long as it hold the rods what more do you want?

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I bought a Shakespeare Firebird Rod and Reel combi-set for 20 quid at Torquay a couple of years ago for 20 quid so I could fish off the peer - I have respooled it with decent line and use it regularly at commercials for carp up to 10lbs ( Still can't get a Barney Rubble - double ) never had any trouble with it at all , I have one that cost a little more ( probably 40 quid ) and I can't tell the difference between the 2.

Reaction score
buy cheap, pay twice"

"Buy Tickle-Tackle, buy 100 times all in one go!"

---------- Post added at 13:00 ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 ----------

Did I hear correctly that Tickle-Tackle are soon to launch an new range of incognito ledger weights - SKONZ? A simple ledger weight cunningly disguised as a scone (obviously discarded by an angler). Available in cherry, raisin and cheese.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Oh why did someone have to mention Badger? :) :) :)
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIyixC9NsLI&feature=relmfu"]Badger Trance | Flash Videos[/ame]

And if you're into Footy

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrYuDGWBJEk&feature=related"]Footy Footy Footy! - YouTube[/ame]

---------- Post added at 14:04 ---------- Previous post was at 13:55 ----------

Sorry about the digression there.

Serious - Dragon Carp, I had one of their 11-13 ft Avanti Feeder rods. The quality of the whippings, the finish, the handle, rings, the reel sea, and even the butt cap are all top quality. Cannot fault it one bit and more than well worth the £20 asking price.

Only point that lets the entire rod down is - weight! It's about 6½ ounces heavier than an equivalent Preston, but look at the difference in price - £180 - £20.

It gets a little bit better when just used at 11ft, but I cut my handle off and made up a new one so my rod is now a 9-11ft rod and pretty good too if I say so myself and I just did.

If only Dragon could get their manufacturer to use the right resins and carbon scrims, they'd be well worth the £140 they claim the original price was. Might just suit a beginner though on a very tight budget, you don't hold a feeder rod all day, that's for sure.

watatoad

Reaction score
Now i am getting over the fit of laughing, I can reply.

I am a great believer in you get what you pay for as much as I am a believer in the theory that a fool and his money are soon parted both of which are simply a way of saying BUYER BEWARE

You can buy rubbish cheaply and you can buy rubbish expensively

You can pay to much for anything

On my little joke website watatoad where I don't sell anything, although my wife I see has got something on there that links to a website selling watatoad 'Tee' shirts, mugs bumper stickers... hehehe never sold one to date she tells me...'silly c*w'...who would want one, total waste of time.

However on the serious side I tested and wrote my honest opinion of what I found and experienced just about a dozen cheap rods posted up so far. One thing stood out was that some company called Lathams gives a 3 year guarantee on their rods and they are as cheap as chips and not bad to fish with.

Last edited: