Legered deadbait presentation

R

Richard Atkinson

Can anybody suggest a suitable rig to present a legered dead-bait out of reach of crayfish. Our venue is full of them!It is a river about 10 metres wide,max 1 to 2 metres deep and fairly fast flowing this time of year.
My son and I usually fish short sessions and live baits are hard to come by.We are relative newcomers to this sport.

R

Rob Brownfield

I would suggest either fishing a paternoster with a float on top, with the deadbait suspended off the bottom, hooked so its head faces into the current, or maybe a popped up deadbait straight off the lead so the bait is a foot or so off bottom. Use small poly balls, deadbait floater stick or rig foam to pop the bait up.

i believe crayfish don't like comming off bottom too far as they could be chomped by a nice chub!

The paternoster rig used to catch me loads of pike in the River Lea and Thames, so I know it works :)

Hope this helps.

C

Chris Bishop

Try keeping the bait on the move - as it's a small river, you probably aren't going to stay in a swim long anyway.

Try wobbling the bait back slowly with a couple of swanshot on the trace to sink it. Lob it across, hold the rod up and let it swing back in an arc towards you.

If it's weedy, you may have to resort to Rob's paternoster ploy.

R

Richard Atkinson

Thanks for that Rob and Chris.
Rob, what size and type of lead would you suggest from your experience, as a starting point to hold the paternoster? I guess it has only to just hold bottom against the current. I'll need to make up a shopping list of a few bits.

R

Rob Brownfield

Richard, well, for deadbaits (normally a small roach or a sprat as these flutter in the current) I was getting away with 1.5-2 oz. I have been known to use 3oz, as i fish a running paternoster, so weight does not matter too much. remember though, keep the rods high to keep the line of the water, and make sure the lead link is weaker than the main line.. :)

R

Richard Atkinson

Thanks Rob. We'll hopefully be able to give it a try Sunday.