Reel fit

Paul T

Reaction score
Please help I have just bought a 5/6 wt fly rod and reel. when I attatch the reel to the rod and screw it tight, it is still possible to move the reel, if the handle is twisted gently whilst holding the reel. Is this normal on a fly rod?

E

Evan

It can happen if you have a narrow foot on the reel and a wider slot for it on the rod.... not really sure there is much you can do about it except use another reel with a bigger / wider foot. Maybe a couple bits of cardboard wedged in to tighten the slots ?

Mind you, unless the movement is significant it probably won't make much functional difference in practice, unless you can feel some irritating / distracting movement or wobbling of the reel on the rod handle when casting etc.

Paul T

Reaction score
Yes the slot is wider on the rod than the reel foot, but I cannot feel any movement when casting. The more I use the screw ring the better it feels, now some of the paint has worn off the threads and reel foot it is feeling more secure. Hopefully this is all that was needed (a bit of use and wearing in). Many thanks Evan.