wormery

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
in decembers edition of coarse fisherman magazine,there is an article detailing how to build your own wormery.
i`m going to have a go at this in the new year,simply because i cant be arsed any more digging lobs up from our garden.
a couple of simple questions for you worm type guys out there.....
is it ok to top up the wormery with vegetable peelings straight from the kitchen,or do they need "rotting down"???
also,is it ok to keep dendras with lobs in the same wormery or are they best kept apart???

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I kept both together but the red worms took over. I think this was down to using kitchen scraps. Would also be interested in any advice. The wormery as to be kept outside as i have no garage or shed would this effect which worms survive best.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
They thrive on kitchen waste Nick but for goodness sake don't put any cooked stuff in there or you will have rats and meeces everywhere.

One thing you have to watch closely in winter is that they don't freeze to death, heavy frost will kill them stone dead. The worms usually bury themselves deep in cold weather in their natural environment, they can't do that in dustbin. Lagging it with fleece, the sort gardeners use is ideal, one layer protects to 2 degs of frost so put a few layers on.

As regards the mixing of the two species I'm not sure but I always thought you only used it for lobs, I'm no expert on that though.

Dave boy

Reaction score
How do you start A womorie i have often thought about doing it myself what do you need to keep them in do you bye a special box i have no idea

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
dave,buy a copy of decembers coarse fisherman magazine....all the detail is in there.if you cant get hold of a copy,then i can post you a photocopy if you want??? or perhaps someone who is a bit more computer friendly on this site could e-mail you a copy of the article???
the actual setting up of one is really easy and there is nothing complicated about it.

good point about the weather affecting the wormery....like bryan i dont have a garage or shed to keep it in.would it be ok to cover/wrap it in old blankets or an old duvet in frost conditions???
there is always plenty of peelings and unused veg in our house so the worms will allways be well looked after graham.
my kids have a giant african land snail(they named him archie) as a pet,he eats loads of cucumber and any that doesn`t get used for him can go in the wormery as well.

Dave boy

Reaction score
Many thanks Nick i,m shoping tomorow so i will try W.H Smiths for the mag if i can,t get it i will come back to you ,luckley i do have what pases for a shed . Merry Christmas Dave boy

P

Phil Hackett The ostrich pie hater

As it?s Christmas and people will be looking to buy you presents, can I strongly recommend you put this inexpensive book (?7 95) on your shopping list.

Composting with worms: Why waste your waste?
George Pilkington Eco-logic Books
ISBN 1 899233 13X
Tel No 0117 942 0165
http://www.eco-logicbooks.com
click on book finder (left side) put worms in the search facility.

It's a very good informative read on the subjects of worms ? species, habitat, types of commercially available wormeries, keeping, feeding, management issues and Q&As.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Red worms are much easier to keep as I have said on here before, all you need is an old compost bag filled with fresh manure. Cover it over and hide it away in the garden in a sheltered place and out of sight, you will be amazed at the amount of redworms that come out of that one bag.

B

Bully

Graham - cooked veg is OK. Rats and mice are not fussed if its raw or al dente! Its meat that is a no no.

Can I also suggest you put in your shredded documents that are valuable. We shred everything and anything with our details on and it goes straight into the compost and its rots down fantastically.

I do not go out to make a wormery, just compost, but its always full of worms, only reds and dendras though. Personally I think you will find a free standing compost is protected by frost....there is a surprising amount of warmth in the middle.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Its not worth the risk Bully, if you get a period of continuous frost you will lose the worms for sure. Remember your science - heat rises so you lose it, not a problem in normal conditions because overheating kills as well but why take the chance?

Steve Handley

Reaction score
One of the problems with free standing compost heaps, especially if you put your grass cuttings on there, is that it will be full of brandling worms.

I have caught fish with brandlings, but the foul smelling yellow liquid they discharge never fills me with confidence.

The Coarse Fisherman article refers to keeping dendrabenas. Was'nt it George Pilkington who stated that dendras are quite difficult to keep in a wormery.