Changing hooks on lures

S

Stewart Branfield

I've been told by some of my 'angling' colleagues that you don't need treble hooks on lures, best switching to barbless single hooks.

What are your thoughts on this? And if I was to take their advice, what hooks would you replece the trebles with?

R

Rob Brownfield

They certainly have there place on some lures. The trouble I have had is trying to get the hook heavy enough not to destroy the action of the lure. Also, finding a single with a big enough eye to get a strong split ring through can be hard.

I have not really come across a single I am totally happy with, but please avoid the chromed hooks that just will not rust if the lure is lost in a fish.

I believe one or two people have been using "circle" hooks on lures...

C

Chris Bishop

Some of the lure guys from down the Broads have - talk to Pete Waller, he sent me a lure with one on to try out the other day.

S

Stewart Branfield

Cheers gents.

Rob, forgive my ignorance, but what is a 'circle' hook. I bet you anticipated this question.

P

Peter Waller

Gerry Castles, on the Lure the Lure Angling Site & Pike & Predators Pike Forum has more experience than me re circle hooks. You can get Eagle Claw barbless sea-hooks from Harris, which we both use. On soft bodied shads and grubs they are the dogs wotsits but I am not convinced of their value as belly hooks on lures. Tails hooks, no problem whatsoever. Brillient things & a doddle to unhook as they always seem to end up in the scissors.

S

Stewart Branfield

Cheers Peter.

Do you think they'll be alright on spinners or spoons, or will they inhibit their action?