Lost fly fisherman

Carl Gibbons

Reaction score
Hi all,
just join, looking good.
Just getting back into flyfishing, after a couple of years out due to family ties.
I live in Birmingham/ Solihull area(not to far from airport and NEC) and would like to know what the local trout waters are like in my area please?
Need to know where to go to get back into it?

Need to get into it again, because I(we, Family) are going to Canmore,Canada in July next year for a holiday. So really need to try the fly fishing over there.

I am trying to get my young son into as well(he's 7). So would like more advice about that to please?
Hope you people can help a lost fly fisherman, get back to the sport he loves.
Many thanks,
gibbos1

S

Shrek

Packington is fairly close to you and fishes well.

A bit further away you have Draycote.

You've Elinor up in Staffordshire, again not too far from you.

There are a lot to choose from.

As for getting your son involved, I hope you manage it. If you don't have tackle for him yet, I would recommend a 7ft rod. Snowbee do an excellent one rated #5/6 and casts very well. My local casting instructor uses them when he teaches at a local school and says his students have made excellent progress since they started using them. My line choice would be a Snowbee XS line and reel would be an Okuma Airstream.

You might actually be best off going to an established game angling tackle shop as you'll get better advice there. Again, not too far from where you are is Lyttles of Dunchurch. I can recommend it.

Let us know how you get on or if you have more questions.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Welcome aboard old chap

Word of warning - watch out for the odd nutter -but most on here are ok

Tally Ho

S

Shrek

I wouldn't go to Draycote as my first water again. I did and got totally demoralised.

I've since learned through fishing on small still waters and now have confidence to catch fish at Draycote.

Carl Gibbons

Reaction score
Hi all and many thanks for all your info.
Has anybody heard and fished any of these waters please? Fisherwick Lakes Lichfield, Kingfisher Trout Lake- Bromyard, Lenches Fishery and Patshull Park- Wolverhampton? There all on the smaller side compared to Draycote, but I was thinking, maybe a little better to get back into it first?
Thanks again for all your information, please keep it coming.
Cheers,
Carl

Carl Gibbons

Reaction score
Hi Adrian,
yes mate, where I looked, cheers anyway fella.

I've got a bad back at mo and off work, but bloody itching to get back to it.
Never mind, will have to wait for Chiro's go ahead, after xmas he said(hu).

M

MarkTheSpark

Packington really is a good bet; always plenty of fish stocked, plenty of space, and you don't have to cast far to get into deepish water.

The small fisheries are definitely the best bet, but the truth is, they stop stocking in winter when there's no-one to catch them.

But don't wait for the weather to warm up. People tend to forget that rainbows are creastures of the ice-melt and cold, and are active right through the winter. Wrap up warm and give it a go!

E

Evan

"People tend to forget that rainbows are creastures of the ice-melt and cold..."

That's what I understood too - so why don't they breed succesfully (with rare exceptions) in the UK ??? Never quite got to grips with that one.....

S

Shrek

Just realised that I fished at Kingfisher lakes earlier in the year. Only had one small trout out and one other pluck. Very cold day when we fished with a biting wind.

It's a nice fishery, about 4 acres in size, and would be ideal for you to cut your teeth on, so to speak (if it's not too far from you). No one was there when we fished, including the owner, so it's an honesty box system for payment and make sure you take the correct money. The track down to the fishery is littered with potholes and takes some slow and careful driving though.

Carl Gibbons

Reaction score
Hi,
cheers gents, I will give them both ago. My first trip out will be in the new year, middle Jan. Will let you know how it goes.
Anymore info would be welcome.
thanks again,
Carl

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Draycote is a great water. I used to live about 5 miles away and spent many days there.

The best fishing starts in Mid April when the buzzers start hatching. I used to fish for a limit and then drop the trout off at two pubs I used to know.

I don't think I ever paid for a day ticket. My trout paid for that.

It is a water that takes a bit of learning. Best way to start is to get your ticket at the lodge and then drive slowly around the perifery road looking for rising trout.

There are certain spots where in early season will be full of stockies. The usual "picket fence" of anglers will tell you where they are. Keep clear and try and find the nice overwintered fish.

Carl Gibbons

Reaction score
Thanks Fella's,
some good advice, many thanks. think I might try some smaller waters first, then give the big boys ago?
Anybody fished a Lake called BlackMonk? In Evesham I think? Don't know if it's still going?
Many thanks again,
Carl

Keith Robinson 2

Reaction score
Might be worth considering making Draycote your HOME water, like Ron says, it's a brilliant small fly water, with the buzzer fishing, pretty well a good bet, and , there are some very big Browns to be had at the right times of the year. The Olive Buzzer has always been kind to me from the bank.

Bob S

Reaction score
Have you considered cutting your son's teeth on coarse fishing first? Nothing like catching a few to get him hooked if you'll pardon the pun. Stillwater trouting might be a bit daunting for a 7 year old?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Oh I don't know Bob.

The first fish my son ever caught was a fly caught trout at the age of 6. I used to cast the line out for him and he would retrieve.

When he was a little older I taught him how to cast - with a big floppy hat and sun glasses (most important) and using a 6 weight outfit. By the age of 10 he could cast over 15 yards. Today he can cast 40 yards when he has a mind.

Carl Gibbons

Reaction score
Hi folks, soory about delay on reply.
I was thinking of starting like Ron said and I will cast and my lad retrieve? Then if he likes it, get him his own kit?
Hoping to do some Barbel and pike fishing later in the year, so going to ask if he wants to come along.
Cheers,
gibbos1