Insane

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

Nor me Wendy! As my old mate George once said to me "Them motherf*****s ain't sportsmen."
There was one bloke from a northern state of the U.S. who hired a Keys guide to take him out. He went into about 15ft of water and speared a 120lb tarpon. When he got back into the boat and the guide saw what he'd speared he helped in getting it to the side of the boat as quickly as possible and put it out of it's misery. He then headed for the nearest shore and ordered the bloke off his boat. He had to walk nearly 4 miles back to the marina in his diving gear. When he did get back there was a crowd waiting for him and he was told in no uncertain terms that he wouldn't be welcome again in Islamorada.
True anglers have no time for spearfishers especially when they kill such fish as big billfish and tarpon.

T

Terry D

So, some fish are more worthy to spearfish than others now and some are not allowed. Where's the list?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Spear fishing is conducted also off the SA and Oz coasts.

There used to be some pretty strong words exchanged between sea anglers and spear fishers I can tell you.

Not only that a spear gun is the most deadly weapon you can obtain without the need for a licence. It's ideal for keeping hoodies at bay!

I don't think you can buy them in the UK.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

Terry, there isn't a list but any right thinking angler or fishing guide would never kill a billfish or tarpon or for that matter a shark because they are considered to be sportfish. Under Florida game and fishery rules tarpon are a protected specie and even if they weren't the killing of one would be strictly taboo. On the Keys it is these fish that the visiting anglers want to catch so the guides are never going to kill the golden geese.
The taking (for the pot) of fish such as snapper, dorado, yellow tails, grouper and speckled sea trout is acceptable because they are there in huge numbers.