Do you plan your fishing in your head before you go?

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Lately, I've noticed that the night before I go fishing I think through what I'm going to do, in the same way that an athelete might envisage themselves crossing the finishing line first.

I imagine the drive, the walking to the peg, teh tactics, the casting out and what I'm going to do if things don't go well. I can get so focused I can have trouble sleeping.

I used to think it was plain excitement, but it's much more than that.

Obviously I'm nuts, but does anyone else do that too?

J

john conway

Yes, exactly like that, my trouble is not sleeping but concentrating on my work prior to going fishing. The lads are now use to me getting changed in the office, ready for a quick dash down to the river, well reasonable quick, its an hour's drive.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I used to be like that Matt when I was a lot younger.

These days I go there and sit and work it out whilst on the bank.

matt

Reaction score
For the last 3mths I've been working out my next years fishing. Where, when, why and for what.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
when i ive been down south to the great rivers i couldnt sleep all week ,supposedly family holiday to bournmouth ,fish obssesed trips more like staring over all the bridges ,Ive got another family holiday planned to the seaside honest matt.from a happy trotter .Great little barbel booklet matt .

P

paul williams 2

I also used to be just like you Matt....but nowadays it takes something special to get me fired up in that way, and that could mean fish or friends!.

I remember how much my pal Gary and myself travelled the country in the 80's...we would prepare all week jump in the car on Fri night head out and head home Sunday......i used to make him sing songs with me to keep both of us awake all the way back from the fens or somewhere!

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
These days I get on the bank and try to work out:
1. Where I am?
2. What I'm doing there?
3. Why I'm there?
4. What to do next?
5. How I got there?
6. How I'm going to get home?

Merry Christmas to fellow senior moment anglers

For wotsit's sake Matt slow down, it's not a job. That's why I gave up serious match fishing years ago when I realised it was two 14 hour days every weekend. Great while it lasted but not the be all and end all of life.

L

little sister ( Jeff )

I agree Matt, I plan out what I'm doing and how I'm going to do it.
Problem is it, seldom happens like that.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
I don't plan anything out really... but i can never sleep the night before a big fishing trip i am terrible! I'm like a child on xmas eve waiting for morning to come!!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I think Old Ed is getting past it!

I gave him the best feed for a derogatory comment he will ever need, but he didn't respond!

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Mark, I love not slowing down. I can't wait for this Christmas because I get more days to go fishing!

I'm pleased to hear that others get excited.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

No matter how much I've planned and schemed in the past it always seemed that once at the waterside there was nearly always something that threw a spanner in the works and all that planning went out the window.
Now I just decide, the day before, what venue I'm going to, get the necessary baits and gear together and work out what I'm going to do when I get there.

L

little sister ( Jeff )

Matt one of my daughters (12) asked me if I was looking forward to xmas, I said that I could not wait, didn't have the heart to tell her that I was thinking of fishing.

Kinda gets a grip on you.

Lee Swords

Reaction score
Matt sometimes I cannot sleep before a big fishing event.

It is the edge that drives us on.

P

Phil Hackett The ostrich pie hater

Mark you quite right it?s not a job. Nor is it a way of life, it?s far more serious than that!

I?d wish you all a Happy Christmas but it won?t be, not for me, as the eves of Xmas and New Year fall on a Sunday and that?s two days when I would normally go fishing lost through it. What a Bas****!

Andrew Turton

Reaction score
My wife still laughs at my mate and me as we plan our next trip like two excited kids.
I love the whole thing about fishing, the planning, the anticipation and the actual fishing, even when I blank. No days fishing is ever a waste of time, there is always something to learn. I hope I never get bored with it, and I hope I will akways get a buzz out of knowing I am fishing tomorrow.
Merry christmas to you all and here's to another years fishing.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Matt, you are far from alone, trust me.I rarely sleep well before a big fishing day which is always bad news as usually I have to be up at the crack to get there.

What is worse are my fishing anxiety dreams which always involve being on the bank of some wonderful river but for some unexpalined reason I always end up being prevented from actually fishing by some outlandish sub-conscious intervention.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Nigel, that's very strange. I'd love to know what a psychiatrist would have to say about that!

P

paul williams 2

Nigel......nowt wrong with that dream mate.......same happens in mine.....but not fishing! ;)

David Craine

Reaction score
I always plan my trips well ahead, even to the point of having packed my kit to take to PortugaL in March next year.. my UK trips are planned meticulously, then usually turn to rat shit somewhere along the way and I have to salvage whatever I can out of it... I find though for instance that if I go along with others, I have allways got what I need, and a bit spare, which results in the others usually benefitting from my planning, even to the extent that they end up using my spare rods, and busting the odd eye,which is never paid for.
I think the planning and preperation are half the fun...my wife just thinks I am slightly nuts..