Talk to the living or dead.

P

paul williams 2

Sorry if the title looked a bit dramatic!

If you could talk to or fish with any angler living or dead for the day who would you choose?

I think i would choose Ray Webb....the things i have been told about him remind me so much of the men i new during my boyhood, they fished for love or food or both....eg a breed apart!

Who out of past and present would you choose and why?

MarT

Reaction score
Would have to be Jack Hargreaves for me.. not just for his fishing skills, but for his vast knowledge of the countryside in general.
Also because he was a lovely gentleman.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I talk to the living dead every day .....
I often talk to myself !

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
My dad is the simple answer to that. He introduced me to fishing at a very early age just by taking me when he went fishing, never forcing me to sit and fish but let me play on the banks of the Avon when I wanted to and let me fish when I wanted to.

From those early fishing trips and the trips in the Chara with his works angling club I took in the atmosphere of fishing and rivers and it has stayed with me ever since.

I can remember clearly the very last time we went fishing together to Evesham town water on the Avon, it was bitterly cold and he was getting more and more frustrated with himself, not helped because I was bagging up, he was getting old, around the mid 70's and his old fashioned style didn't suit the conditions. Suddenly he appeared behind me and said thats it Graham, I will never go fishing again, I've had enough, he didn't either, he died two or three years later.

No, keep your famous fishermen, I would rather spend a day fishing with my dad than a month with a famous one.

J

john conway

I was going to say Walker, however, as we all know quite a bit about Walker, I?d have to say I?d be more interested in the thoughts of someone like the Trent Otter.

S

Shrek

Arthur Cove. I've read his book and would like to meet the man.

A

Angler Saxon

I'd like to meet Izaak Walton. I'd ask him to say what he really hoped to get from the milkmaid in return for giving her a chub.

Deanos

Reaction score
That was a lovely answer Graham.

I certainly followed the exploits of Ivan Marks, Kevin Ashurst and Ian Heaps as a lad.

But my old dad will always be number one angler for me.

I sat and wondered what would I have done if a fishing legend like Roland Clay had been me dad teaching me how to fish as a lad....anyone got any spare golf clubs! :))))))))

E

You'd have been speaking in Afrikaans now Deanos ....

E

Did you ever eat 'longpig' in Africa Ron ???

Deanos

Reaction score
Roland, would you like to be my surrogate dad?

I will take no reply as a resounding YES!

Deanos

Reaction score
Right then, as my new dad,
Pick me up in Harrogate town centre at 2am Saturday morning outside the Rat and Parrott, AND DON?T FORGET TO GET ME A BIG PIZZA YOU OLD STOAT!

And for Christmas I want as much new tackle as you can get your cash rich hands on Roland, and I want me Christmas dinner on the table for 2am sharpish chief!

Jump to it then!