ADEC Marine Lifejackets

G

Gary Knowles

A friend of mine put me onto these. I find it quite incredible that angling manufacturer's still charge twice the price of the manufacturers for products such as this.

The other thing is, has anyone used these types of jacket for winter river fishing, when the banks are a bit dodgy ? - I'm going to this winter anyway, no doubt that should encourage a few sarcy comments on the bank !

S

Stuart Johnson

Yes it should, so don't stand infront of me.

On a serious note, I think the idea of using a lifejacket for winter fishing on a river is an excellent one. Its difficult enough playing a fish with the rod in one hand and useing the other hand grabing anything to stop you going in. As you said whats more inportant the fish or your life.

D

David Will

Gary it annoys me no end when you can buy a very good auto lifejacket for ?50.00 as well as spare arming canisters but Fox who are supposed to be selling these things to improve safety charge twice the amount. Their prices must put people off.Not to mention Hardy & Orvis etc doing the same.

S

Steve Burke

I used to sell lifejackets and can confirm it's a very good price indeed, especially for spare canisters. However,to be fair to Fox they supply Crewsaver lifejackets, which are used by the RNLI and are generally reckoned to be the best of all.

I've been to the Crewsaver factory and seen demonstrations of all their product line. I even jumped into the pool fully clothed wearing a lifejacket - and I don't swim!

One point that Crewsaver stressed was that when wearing heavy winter clothing we should go for 275 Newtons of buoyancy. 150 Newtons may not be sufficient to turn you the right way up if air is trapped in the wrong place, so you could be floating face down. It can be difficult enough to turn over anyway, but unconscious it's impossible!

Don't say it won't happen to you. A friend ducked to avoid a seagull, slipped and banged his head on the gunwhale. He ended up in the water and out stone cold. Luckily he was wearing an automatic self-inflating lifejacket, which saved his like.

I like the idea of the green colour of the ADEC - ideal for fishing flooded rivers when undercut banks can give way. Crewsaver make a 150 Newton in green for Barbour but it's much more expensive.

I've also used a self-inflating fly waistcoat from England's but the zips kept breaking. They even wanting me to pay for the repair even though it was for review! Strangely none of the magazines I wrote for at the time wanted to carry the review!

G

Gary Knowles

"I used to sell lifejackets and can confirm it's a very good price indeed, especially for spare canisters"

Your right Steve, its a great price and when you see the farbric, quality of fasternings, stitching, etc. you realise what a bargain it is.

The guy that banged his head - wouldn't happen to be a certain blonde heavy rocker well into perch and eel fishing was it ?

S

Steve Burke

It would indeed. Have you any contact details as I've lost touch with Mark since he moved?

G

Gary Knowles

Steve,

I've not spoken to Mark for some time. I'll have a look in my old address book to see if I have a contact for you.