Seal

Phil Per 2

Reaction score
Hello all,
It is with some regret that a seal is now reported to be in the pool,so never mind the polish... get ya guns out and 2lb of mackerel get on down to the river.

Phil per

P

Phil Hackett The ostrich pie hater

Just checked on the club website and this doesn't seem to be a wined up.

I know the guy who saw it quite well and I don't think he one for making false claims about something like this.

Bad news and it needs removing PDQ. I'll try to contact the Sec of the club tomorrow.

RADAC members can someone contact your Sec as well.

P

Update:
Been in touch with the Secretary who asked me to post this. He?s been in contact with RSPCA who said they?d send an officer out to assess it.

I also informed him I had a contact number for British Divers Marine life Rescue
Who may be able to help and asked would I contact them.
That has been done, and as I write they are on their way to assess the situation.

Being Christmas they did point out it might take a day or so to organise a team, boats and equipment to remove the mammal.

So the rescue is in hand, and hopefully the situation will be resolved in next couple of days.

Cheers to all for their actions

That?s what ?self-opinionated? members of the SAA will do on Christmas Eve to protect the rivers and the fish stocks.... take positive affirmative action to resolve a problem!

Phil Per 2

Reaction score
Superb something is being done,do they need any help from club members?As I am sure that the need to resolve it asap, is a must..
Do we know how much food a seal requires per day and lets hope it is on its own.

And lastley how are they going to trap it??

P

paul williams 2

HaHa.....luv it Phil!

Personally i'd have shot it and not said a word!

Phil Per 2

Reaction score
303 at dusk between those cute little childlike eyes is tempting.But will do little to help the anglers image in these pc days Paul?.

And it is xmas, good will to all marine mammals and all that...

Still would be interested on how they are going to trap it ,anyone know??

Them fish are in for a scary xmas if they don`t get it out.

Happy Xmas Phil

Ian Whittaker

Reaction score
Curious about this.Its gone way out of its way to get up there on the river .
Is it a juvenile ?
There was a young seal found on a grass verge near Carnforth. Miles away from anywhere it should have been .Spotted by a passing motorist.Relocated by the RSPCA to Hilbey? island in the Mersey estuary.it was on local news about 2weeks ago.
Wonder if they've been dumped ?
It would make a tidy xmas lunch for a hungry pole or eskimo.......

Phil Per 2

Reaction score
Ian,there has been a lot of floodwater so although it is well up river.It is nor really that far for a seal.

What we need now is Amundsen or Nansen to turn up on FRAM and do a bit of restocking maybe?.

matt

Reaction score
where exactly has it been RADAC or clitheroe stretches? May have to change my plans for the coming weeks fishing trips!!

P

Matt
I doubt it's reached Boot Fram length yet!
But all those below it it will have gone through!

P

My understanding from the brief conversation I had with BDWLR is, they will force it down river using boats and divers to the nearest riffle and capture it there. Relocating it to the sea after its been checked over by a vet.

To those suggesting it should be shot, use a bit of common sense this is a public forum accessible to the antis?. and yes they do read it!

Comments about shooting it do angling no good whatsoever!

Take one gun? aim at feet?pull trigger?..blow both feet off!

P

Update:

The seal has moved from Osbalderstone and could have gone either way up or down, there really is no way of telling until someone make a report of its whereabouts.

I cannot stress enough the damage this creature could and can do to the large fish stocks of the river.

Even worse than the Poles because it even a better angler than them an me put together! LoL

So to all Ribble regulars please take a note of these two numbers.

BDMLR office is 01825 765 546

Out of hours service is 077705 74449

They will need precise locations of where you?ve seen the seal if an attempt to rescue it is to take place.
It would be most helpful to them if you could report it as you see it on your mobile.

billyrivers

Reaction score
It was i that reported the seal at osbad i saw it surface about 10 times, it seemed to be running up and down the big bend,i asked another angler to witness it for me,and on his way back to his peg he managed to get a very clear view of it, it could have been a juvenile as surjested, even the one that was released back in to the sea!!!

Billyrivers

P

yep it was Billyrivers who made the report I can now confirm!

We'll have the bugger if it stays in the river that's for sure Barrie!

It might think its Christmas's has come at once and its table is set with chub, barbel, salmon but not for much longer it ain't. :0)

Phil Per 2

Reaction score
I know where it is...
Its pulling Santas new surf board tonight, with all this global warming he needs it to deliver the kiddies pressies.

The beasts name is Woodolf and santa told me if you get a peewhistle blow 3 times extend left arm with a kipper in it, he will seek you out.

So forget your guns ,boats and divers get to the kipper shop pronto...

In all seriousness it does need sorting and pretty dammed fast too, good luck to all involved.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

There were three seals in the Mersey a few years ago and they stayed there all year. The fish stocks were soon replenished when they left. In THEIR OWN GOOD TIME.

Disco stu

Reaction score
SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECH!!!!!!!!
(fingers scratching down a blackboard)

I'll find him for you for $5000.

For $10000 you get the head, the tail, the whole thing.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

You tell me what there is to worry about Phil Per2.
I think you will have a hard job on that one seeing you don't know how many pounds of fish the seals eat in a day/week.