Anyone ever go fishing...

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
It will be a first for me tomorrow. On the canal at first light, a couple of hours chucking bits of soft plastic around.

Anyone else as sad as me?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Can't get a permit anymore but I used to go every time. In the early 80s, in 5 consecutive Xmas days I had roach over 2lb on the 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th years - on the 3rd year the best was 1-15-12. There never used to be many out though.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
My missus would stop me I think, its tradition that she does all the preparation and cooking whilst I get to do the washing up, one has to show willing once a year don't you know. Welcome to married life Mark!!!

E

EC

I went fishing 2 chrimbo's on the spin, 2002 & 2003, I was at the other half's parents all day on xmas and 'needed to get out for some air' after dinner!

I had some rods in the car, together with my wet weather gear, bless 'em they never sussed, and thought it was a coincidence!

One year I went the dane and blanked the next year I went the shroppy and caught some jacks on wobbled sprats. Go me!

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
I remember one Xmas days fishing, a couple of hours of catching small roach, 1lb bottom, single caster, then, under goes the float, and I strike into a lump, after 20 minutes of give and take, it comes to the surface, 19lb 6oz of mirror carp, bringing it slowly to the net, and it slipped the size 20 barbless hook and swam back down to the depths, I was gutted.

Malc Bason

Reaction score
I threatened to go for many years, but never managed it.

Merv, sorry mate, but if it slipped the hook and you were gutted - how did you know it weighed 19lb 6oz?

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
LOL

Well I arrived at first light, had 2 x 1.08 Perch in the first 5 minutes on Mister Twister grubs, then nothing.

Great to get out, hardly anyone about, zero traffic on the roads.

Recomended!!

David Craine

Reaction score
Never been fishing on Xmas Day, But, I did once spend the Xmas break down Gaping Gill, Camping in the Sand Caverns if anybody is familiar...bloody good it was too.Now I am older and perhaps a litle less wise, spend all day at home with a humungouse amount of relatives, and eat too much.
I used to be fit, now I"m just 54.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I just got back home after 3 hours on a favoured swim on the Hampshire Avon. I fished both maggot on the float and breadflake on the feeder for 6 Roach the best one being just over 1lb. It was a case of 'fishing for bites' through the session, the taly being 8 bites for 6 fish.

The swim in question, (a few FM regulars probably know it) is only ever empty on days like today, but it was great to be out, not too cold but fresh and bracing.

I might even go and 'give it a looking at' tomorrow as well :)

C

Cakey

I went and had 4 pike this morning whilst the wife was working and there was two other fools there too

L

Les Clark

Nice one Cakey ,i was going to fish tomorrow but feel a tad unfit ,i will now leave it untill wednesday .

C

Cakey

the third pike I caught I held up and said "this is the smallest pike in the river "....................wrong !

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Never fished on Xmas Day but Boxing Day used to be a bit of a tradition with my Uncles when I was a kid (and bigger kid).

Used to meet up with them at Gran's and sneak out for a few hours. Great days but usually not a lot was caught. One year we did had some superb Chub from a Ringwood pit, they really went for it and we all caught stacks.

Occassionally we'd stay at home and play Cribbage in the "back room" (I thnk that depended on how much booze was drunk on Xmas Day!).

F

Fred Bonney

Never done a Christmas day,did my first Boxing day today.
4 hours not a bite,but had a great deal of company, from a huge flock of Longtail tit's.
Plus, a chuckle from a Green Woodpecker.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I've been every Christmas morning for about the last 8 years.

I blanked last year while after roach on the River Don. It was 2.0 degrees celcius and I missed a bite!

This year was good...