canals!!

bigsean

Reaction score
i've fished lakes and ponds for years, and most places i've fished are fairly easy to find features e.g deep/shallow areas, overhanging trees, shade, etc
so when thinking about targeting predators on lakes, the features kind of stand out .... but i've never fished a canal, let alone tried targeting pike or perch
so wot do i look for if i'm seeking out canal pike???

Simon K

Reaction score
Moored boats, bridges, overhanging trees, depth-changes, deep margins/shelves, any obvious similar features really, but think "man-made" too?

Pike and perch will be mobile as well, so you can also intercept them on their way from feature to feature.

Also recently vacated match-pegs which will hold ground-bait/particles and lots of prey fish.

bigsean

Reaction score
cheers simon, i was looking at the canals in manchester centre and trafford/salford area, which are all supposed to hold decent pike .... the town centre canals dont really have much in the way of trees or plants, but i'll take ur advice on board and try my best when i get out there

greeny1321

Reaction score
I went on the bridgewater in salford yesterday mate, I dropped in half a herring beside some lily pads on the near bank and it took all of 2 minutes to get this...

8lb15ozbridgewater.jpg

Then I didn't get another fish for the rest of the session as I was with my nephew and brother and they were happy to stay in the same spot. My advice, travel light and be mobile. I am 100% confident that had I picked up my gear and moved to another swim I would have caught more.

Reaction score
Nice one greeny,

First decent frosts of the winter...(and looking at the "signs" in terms of leaf drop and the appearance of berries I don't think that will be too long)...and I'll be up my favourite stretches of the Macc. after that elusive three......and any wayward esox's that may also come my way

greeny1321

Reaction score
Nice one greeny,

First decent frosts of the winter...(and looking at the "signs" in terms of leaf drop and the appearance of berries I don't think that will be too long)...and I'll be up my favourite stretches of the Macc. after that elusive three......and any wayward esox's that may also come my way

3lb perch I assume? I wouldn't mind a bit of big perch action myself. My brother fluked a 3lber when carp fishing on my local carp puddle a few months ago so now his pb is nagging me lol not that I am at all competitive you understand :rolleyes: I'm suprised to have not caught any at all when lure fishing this year, I've been out A LOT! I have had a few nice sized ones follow my lure in but never had one take it.

bigsean

Reaction score
where was that pic taken greeney? nice fish by the way ... is that another double?
wouldnt mind some perch action too ... theres a place near me that says they got perch to 4lb ... will be trying for them sometime soon hopefully
where about in manc/salford are u?