Anglers Mail and Fishingmagic

N

Neil Wayte

I read Thomas Petch's review on the site in yesterdays mail and in general thought it was positive but the one comment I did take the hump with was"There arn't enough big name writers to make most people go back" or something simular.
I for one like the websites because it gives other people (non big name)a chance to write articles and get them published.Infact most of these articles have better content than the big name ones because they are not churning out the same old stuff.When one of us puts pen to paper it's because we think we have something interesting to say and most times we have.We don't wite for a living and therefor only write when we have got a good idear or article.
Sorry Thomas you don't need big names to make websites good reading and non big name writers have valid comments to make to.

W

Wendy Perry

Here Here Neil i saw the article too and called him a well i won't say but this website is one of the very best and i for one love reading some of the stories on here . P.S i saw your picture Neil cracking fish

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I haven't yet read the report but I would say that our team of regular writers and the community spirit of the site are our greatest strength. Our viewing figures, authenticated by an independent third party, more than suggest that we are already the biggest, and fastest growing fishing website in the UK.

C

Carp Angler

They can't really say that it has the news a week before themselves aswell as quality articles by people with something to say, or people wouldn't buy the weeklies anymore.

M

michael hall

Fishingmagic it has got to be said I think that it is the BEST fishing website on the net. we have a great editorial, great 'community' of anglers alike and we all have a laugh. No wonder its already the biggest, and fastest growing fishing website in the UK.

And I hope it carries on this way!!!
Plus we do have big names!! GRAHAM MARSDEN!!!

G

Gary Knowles

Michael - your confusing big names with a big wallet !

J

john conway

When I've asked a question or wanted a bit of advice the Fishingmagic forum have generally given me the answer within 24hrs, I've even had it within 15 mins. No big name is going to sit at the box all day just waiting for me to drop them a line, forums don't work that way.

R

Rodney Wrestt

C.A. said "They can't really say that it has the news a week before themselves" that is the truth though, it is now Friday and I haven't had time to read all of A.M. yet, prefering to come on here and hear from everyone on the forum at lunch times etc. Then there is the fact the important things in angling are here daily not from week to week or monthly.

G

Gary Knowles

The anglers mail is full of big names isn't it like.......errr, errr, oh, Andy Little and errr, errr, sorry - forget this mail !

D

Davy North

We may not have any "big" names on the site, but I like to think me recognize true angling greats. Many people on FM mourned the passing of Bernard Venables earlier this year. Anglers Mail didn't even see fit to mention it. I haven't bought a copy since.

S

Steve Burke

Which has more readers, Angler's Mail or internet fishing magazines like FM. My guess is that at least 3 internet mags have more readers even than Angling Times - and the gap is getting bigger every week!

N

Neil Wayte

I wasn't having a go at Anglers Mail because I get on very well with all the guys in the office but what I meant was that the web site dosen't need big well known names for it to be interesting.
Thomas obviously has missed the point.Web sites are like a community where people go for a chat or good natured wind ups.Advice is freely exchanged and friend ships are formed.
The Fishingmagic regulars have like the RMC regulars have arranged fishins where people have met for the first time.
A weekly can not possible hope to be as up to date as an on line magazine.Easpecially when they won't use digital pictures.
Thomas obviously dosen't use a web site regularly because big names aren't needed to make them work just a big wallet.

M

Mark St Jefferson

My two penneth:

Firstly I don't have a gripe with any of the mags, originally I used to fork out a fair few quid every month for quite a range of them, and on the whole they are fair at what they do.

But, in the last few months, (since I found FM) I have found I have been slowly dropping them, one by one, as a lot of the news info and features in them are either being covered here, or are already in the archives.
FM may not have big names, but the people who write are not sponsor driven, they usualy write in a language I can understand and when they say they caught this fish on this session, you are pretty certain they have and what weight it is.

FM also seems to building a base of experts that rivals if not exceeds the other magazines, maybee not street cred journalisim circles, but they are people who know what they are talking about, whether it be baits, methods or equiptment. And if it isn't in the articles section?
You can bet your mother in laws dentures that it'll be buried in the forum somewhere.
For instance I learnt more about scales in the recent thread than I probably ever need to know.
Add to that the speed you can get a half decent answer to a stupid question and the generaly friendly attitude by all and it is hardly suprising that FM is as big as it is.

It has certainly gone from an occasional favorite to a fixed homepage in my browser anyway, and I am sure I am not alone in that.

I may not contribute as much as most, but I get a lot of enjoyment from this site.

My only complaint is:
It's bloody hard to read it in the loo!!!!

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
"My only complaint is: It's bloody hard to read it in the loo!!!!"

Mark, I have to say I creased up with that line - the mental image it creates is priceless!

You are also dead right in that we can honestly say this site, by not having any 'big names', is not swayed by any loyalty to sponsors. What we say is what me mean, a straight up opinion not based on any marketing hype or need to justify a fee.

If kit is good we say it's good, if it's crap we say it's crap. Not all 'names' can say they are free to write what they actually want to write.

S

Steve Burke

Surely, there's a place both for magazines like Angler's Mail and internet mags like this one?

The great advantage of printed mags and papers is that you can take them anywhere and read them in comfort. Eventually of course we may have the same with "computer books", although a recent article suggested that it's not that far off.

At present nothing compares with the weeklies for catch reports. Do you all think this will ever change? If so when?

J

John Pleasance

No big names ? Well there's Matt Hayes who I believe writes under the pseudonym of Wendy Perry,and Graham himself :- a leg end in his own lunchtime.But seriously folks there is a wealth of knowledge in here and if what you want is not here it probably will be shortly after you've asked.Don't forget someone who asks is a fool for five minutes,someone who never asks is a fool for life.
I can make do with a book in the loo !!

S

Stewart Bloor

I totally agree with your first comment Steve. I enjoy both the written word in book form, and the computer screen version.

Traditional magazines and the Internet, in my opinion, actually harmonise with each other. For me, it's not a case of either / or, but both.

I didn't read the comments in Angler's Mail, but I'm not upset by them in any way, shape or form. I suppose it gives the Angling Times a rest for a week.

I always find the little digs that the two weeklies keep having at each other quite funny really. Particularly when the majority of us don't feel that strong one way or the other.

I read both AM and AT, but not every week. But when it takes my fancy, I'll buy whichever one I want.

I do connect with the Internet most days though, although I haven't been spending as much time as I used to on-line. I consequently check out just a couple of sites, FM being one of them.

W

Wendy Perry

i hope that isn't rude what you wrote there John LOL Matt hayes as never been near me hehehehehehhe ;)