Trace memory

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Is there any way of getting rid of the memory in trace wire ? I'm still looking for my perfect soft,supple zander wire & I've got a few different brands now but all of them come off the spools with a certain degree of spool memory...ie annoying coils. Certain brands are IMO so springy & stiff that I wont use them.

Or is a bit of memory nothing to worry about ? I suppose it will all straighten out in the water and maybe the little bit of slack created by the coils offer a little bit less resistance to a finicky zander on pick up ?

Alternatively I could be missing the point completely but when I look at a length of trace wire that is clearly not straight I do wonder.

Any thoughts ? I'm fishing small deadbait sections on stillwater exclusively and only after zander.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
I am surprised you are getting memory issues straight from the spool, after landing a fish yes, but most quality brands should be good from the spool.

For wire I would highly recommend Caliber Wonder Wire from Steve Moore

Caliber Tackle

If you are happy with FC then these Dragon traces are very good.

Fluorocarbon Pike Leader Fishing tackle from lure-world.com Fishing tackle

Keith...just about every brand of wire I've ever tried,bought or looked at has some spool memory.....some so bad that IMO the wire is unuseable for anything other than fence repairs. So far the best I've used is Fox Soft Steel but its only available in 28lb bs and quite thick. I wanted something a bit thinner to aid presentation.

****y on here very kindly sent me some off cuts of stuff he uses & recommends. I liked the Pro Logic wire,bought some and its OK but still a bit stiffer than I'd like. Middy Tec- Core is OK but has a bit of memory. The Drennan Soft Strand I thought was absolutely shocking.

Wonderwire is fantastic but I didn't think it was still available...I thought Caliber Tackle had folded ages ago. FC I'm afraid is a non starter...I'm fishing Bury Hill and its not allowed for predator fishing.

Keith E

Reaction score
Sorry mate, I am probably thinking of 'severe' memory as oppsed to 'gentle' memory, if you know what I mean, but I've never had coils coming from the spool

Steve still has plenty of Wonderwire as far as I am aware. Also SavageGear SoftFlex is nice and supple.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Sorry mate, I am probably thinking of 'severe' memory as oppsed to 'gentle' memory, if you know what I mean, but I've never had coils coming from the spool

Steve still has plenty of Wonderwire as far as I am aware. Also SavageGear SoftFlex is nice and supple.

Keith

I have some of the SaveageGear...its not bad but not as good as I'd hoped. I suppose I am speaking of "gentle" memory...I just dont like any memory at all. The Drennan I bought is like a clock spring...rubbish.

I'll try Steve via e-mail but that site looks long dead to me.

Jerry

No I haven't...nor am I likely to at 8 nicker a trace ! I'm not that fussy !

Skippy

chav professor

Reaction score
S-kippy, youve been really taken by these Zander!! Never got round to it last year, but hoping to visit the fens and have a go at Zander and a twenty pound pike.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
I have indeed Christian.For me its new,its different, it made me think and I enjoyed it enormously. Frankly my winter fishing used to be almost exclusively river roach but with less & less time to go and the returns IMO not measuring up to the effort [and cost !] involved I needed something different. I used to have access to a bit of winter barbel fishing too but not any more. Chub I've never really got into...perhaps I should.