Important Notice E Mail Hacked

Reaction score
I have just found out that some lowlife scum has managed to hack into my hotmail and send some sort of spam virus to my entire address book.

If anyone has received an email purporting to be from me in the last week or so...

DO NOT OPEN IT!!!! DELETE IMMEDIATELY!!!

I've been on to Hotmail and the problem is now resolved, but delete anything in your inbox saying it's from me :(

Mods,

Any chance we can make this thread 'sticky' for a few days to give people the chance to read it?

Last edited:

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hotmail has been notorious for such stuff for many years, ****y. Several years ago I put a block on all incoming emails bearing a Hotmail address, with the one and only downside being when an ambitious young sea-trout fisher looking to make himself a name sent me mail after mail about meeting or joining him on some river, then, on not being replied to, got onto a fly forum and had a good "go" at me. His loss.

I've used the free Yahoo Mail for over a decade and, after setting up a few rules and filters, have had no trouble with it.

Morespiders

Reaction score
I had my Hotmail address stolen about 2 months ago they changed my password but kept my address had to change it to another address and password, all this spoils the internet,

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
If anyone has received an email purporting to be from me in the last week or so... DO NOT OPEN IT!!!! DELETE IMMEDIATELY!!!
Received it?

I followed the link and bought some. Hoping it clears my little problem up. :eek: :confused: :(

Yours isn't the first ****y, other on here have been 'done'. I have just redirected all their stuff now to the junk bin automatically.

SHOULD ADD - GET A DECENT FIREWALL - unless you have a wireless router, they're built in.

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
I had a problem some years ago when I used Tiscali, they even threatened to close me down blaming me for the problems. Now I'm with BT the only problems I have are with BT and $loody Yahoo. Most mails go direct into the Yahoo spam box (I usually use Windows Mail) and a while back I had over 1600 e-mails download in one big slug, some going back to before Christmas 2010

Shooting is too good for these internet spoilers.

Last edited:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
the spam filters at my work deny over 1 million spam attempts a month , plus another million probes , scans and other sundry attacks. Its a constant battle we have a team who spend 3 days a month applying patches to keep the software up to date , we receive and have to track daily security alerts and every 3 months we have to employ a security firm to run a simulated attack on our site and send us the results - absolute nightmare !

PitsfordPirate

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have just found out that some lowlife scum has managed to hack into my hotmail and send some sort of spam virus to my entire address book.

If anyone has received an email purporting to be from me in the last week or so...

DO NOT OPEN IT!!!! DELETE IMMEDIATELY!!!

I've been on to Hotmail and the problem is now resolved, but delete anything in your inbox saying it's from me :(

Mods,

Any chance we can make this thread 'sticky' for a few days to give people the chance to read it?

Well that's what happens when you use your email addy to log onto Teen Dreams, Asian Ass and such likes.

The Pirate.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Received it?

I followed the link and bought some. Hoping it clears my little problem up. :eek: :confused: :(

Yours isn't the first ****y, other on here have been 'done'. I have just redirected all their stuff now to the junk bin automatically.

SHOULD ADD - GET A DECENT FIREWALL - unless you have a wireless router, they're built in.

I would add get a decent operating system like Xubuntu or a MAC

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Received it?

I dont know much about fishing , but I do know about this , firewalls are only a small percentage of the issue mate

barbelboi

Reaction score
I dont know much about fishing , but I do know about this , firewalls are only a small percentage of the issue mate

Are you sure about this Benny, I’m of the opinion that once you install a firewall, you'll be amazed at how many attempts to access your computer are blocked by your firewall.:confused:
Jerry

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes. AVG AntiVirus free (of course), plus the Microsoft Security Essentials firewall, plus ZoneAlarm, plus SpyBot, plus SuperAntiSpyware, plus Obit / Advanced System Care, plus SpywareBlaster, plus one or two others whose name presently escapes me - anybody who can get through that lot is welcome to both me and my computer.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Im sure there are now viruses that target macs, but switching to a mac was the best thing i ever did. The time saved fighting software conflicts/reboots/freezes and crashes was also immense. Cant speak of current Windows of course, although my wife's windows laptop has been a nightmare - if i used it it would have been smashed to pieces with a stick ages ago.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Well that's what happens when you use your email addy to log onto Teen Dreams, Asian Ass and such likes.
Asian Ass takes you to some very educational websites.
endwlasianwildasswkwlw.jpg

Don't knock it!!! :) :D

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Are you sure about this Benny, I’m of the opinion that once you install a firewall, you'll be amazed at how many attempts to access your computer are blocked by your firewall.:confused:
Jerry

You are correct it does, if configured properly, but then there are also the myriad threats that are allowed through or initiated by your own machine.

Most of which come from email , usb sticks , dodgy web pages , or compromised
but seemingly legitimate web pages. A good analogy is the firewall is a very sturdy locked front door but you still have to go outside.

Essential in this is also to keep your software up to date , virus checker , windows patches , adobe flash , microsoft office etc etc.

Microsoft like other vendors have a security bulletin page Security Center - Bulletins Advisories Tools Guidance Resources

because I can't keep up with all the windows patching you need to do I only run linux, having said that one of my kids had his online banking hacked and someone got all the way in and tried to withdraw a grand , because it looked suspicious the bank halted the transaction and phoned him up. Now I can only guess his details were revealed when he used his girlfriends windows machine which did have a virus or when he did some banking on his phone and left his bluetooth on, but I can't be sure and thats the tricky bit.

The banks that offer a secure one time password token seem to be going in the right direction, or those that use a set of pull down boxes which are more difficult to catch with a key logger.

Reaction score
Fatal, ****y, as you'd would very likely get me. Just don't do it!

LOL! I have read and enjoyed your pioneering adventures in Somewhere Down the Crazy River a number of times over the years Paul...

I first went to India a decade after you chaps... You may have noticed that my mahseer articles on here pay tribute to your pioneering work... :)

Somewhere Down the Kaveri River

Part 2

Part 3

Last edited:

bigchub

Reaction score
Yes. AVG AntiVirus free (of course), plus the Microsoft Security Essentials firewall, plus ZoneAlarm, plus SpyBot, plus SuperAntiSpyware, plus Obit / Advanced System Care, plus SpywareBlaster, plus one or two others whose name presently escapes me - anybody who can get through that lot is welcome to both me and my computer.

I used to like AVG until it messed up my computer. I always rated it up to that point but changed to Avast! anti-virus which is also free and a lot better. Advanced System Care is also very good as it CCleaner.
But if you really want to mess up you computer then install Norton! Why people insist on recommending it I'll never know! Plenty of free and better programs out there. Installing Norton on you computer is like killing your computer.

stikflote

Reaction score
Iagree with chub_ on the_ block,since i changed to a mac no more problems,
even tho im not very good with it