Woodys Rod

• Thread starter BAZ (Angel of the North)
  • Start date
B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

What a handy bit of kit this looks like. Just the job for putting in the car for an after work session. Two or three piece? I'd deffinately go for the three piece myself.
Good write up Woody mate. I can see myself wandering down the Dane with one of these.
It's me birthday soon, I wonder..............

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Another good report from the 'resident FM 'field tester' - cheers Jeff.

I am a little bemused though as to what would be the great difference between the rod on test and, for example, a decent 'Avon-type' Rod?

Both are around 11 feet in lenght and with the Avon rod you'll most likely get both a quiver and a float top, so the advantages are a little in favour of the Avon, right?

blankety blank

Reaction score
I thought the same Peter. While I accept that the Preston rod would be better/nicer to use than say my 11 foot JW avon Quiver, the avon would do very well and I wouldn't have to shell out 140 notes!

Might be different if I match fished commercials though.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

What would be the main advantage/difference between this rod and an Avon type rod?
For me personally it would be two things. First off storage, that is why I would choose the three piece, it could be tucked neatly away in the car.

Secondly, three piece rods were what I first started fishing with, so maybe this is what appeals to me.

I have to agree that a 12 ft float rod on a canal averageing 14 mtrs just doesn't quite do it for me. Especially for side casting to get the float under the far bank overhanging trees and bushes. I find that Control is much easier with an 11ft rod.

The only negative point for me would be that this rod is a little on the pricey side.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
b-b

I'm not sure I'd agree about using one of those rods for commercials either. Personally when fishing the margins you want a 'hit and hold' rod and the Carbonactives just don't do that for me.

Baz,

I think that if you tried out one of the more 'pricey' Avon type rods you might find that an 11 foot model would suit very well. I use a pair of Bob James' River Twin rods (not sure if you can still buy them) and they are truly excellent tools for that type of a job.

As to 2 piece versus 3 piece I still maintain that a 2 piece rod is superior to a 3 piece every time - just think of the mechanics involved.
As to covenience I very rarely manage a session either before or after work, so that is not my main criteria. I can understand those that are lucky enough to be able to do so, but I's still rather take a 2 piece rod into the office than hide a 3 piece in the car - personal preferrence at the end of the day.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I think that is what it boils down to Peter, (personal preferance). Or what the pocket can afford. Nowadays I would prefer to wait and spend more on the pricier better rods.

The first decent rod I used for casting under the trees on the canal was a Harison 12 ft match rod with a spliced tip. I did use an 11 ft model one day and found the difference phenomenal.

Are there any black spots on the Prestons three piece rod? Woody?

W

Wolfman Woody

"Are there any black spots on the Prestons three piece rod?" Nah, the whole rod's painted black Baz. :eek:)

I understand what you mean - blank spots. I didn't try the three piece, but the two piece just bends around with no blank (dead) spots whatsoever. Preston's just wouldn't make one like that.

Peter, I do appreciate what you are saying, but what is the likely TC of an avon rod? Mine are around 1?lb although I appreciate you can get them down to a little over 12 ounces. I never did test the TC on this rod, but it could easily be around 6-8 ounces even though it will lift a kilo.

Shortly after that kilo test, I told Graham I'd tried it and he said "Well you're braver than me, I wouldn't." Oh, thanks Graham, and I took your word for that :eek:), but at least it does work.

Preston say it was designed for commercials, but not all commercials are full of bouncy carp. I did have one carp on around 5lbs maybe, but it just ran me ragged and ended up in the roots of a tree. I got back the tackle, but lost the fish.

I just think the perfect situation for this rod is as a very fine stalking float rod.

W

Wolfman Woody

By the way, Blankety Blank. I have had a JW Avon quiver in the past, It's one of the two rods I would recommend a newcomer purchases.

The other rod being a nice float rod and with these two you would cover 90% of all fishing.

The Preston Mini Float would be the second rod, although I would still recommend a longer one for the newcomer. It's much lighter than the JW Avon.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
You can get Avon rods with a t/c of 12 ounces and upwards to 1?lb or 1?lbs, after that I think that rods called 'Avons' are really something altogether quite different.
Remeber the original Avon Rods were 'Wizards' or at least "wizard-like" in their construction.

My B. James River Twins have a float top section test curve of 12 ounces, and I like to use them in the 'wooded' local sections on the Avon in those swims you cannot normally get into with a 13 footer.

The older versions of the Carbotec rods (which were probably the first carbonactive rods around) had similar test curves of around 6 to 8 ounces, but sadly these are no longer made, and in any event were 2.5 times the prices of these Preston rods.

With that Carp on Jeff, did you actually feel like you had control of the fish?
The reason I ask is that I've used my Carbotec's for similar fishing and really don't like the 'super-give' that you feel when playing a fish close-in.
Granted they wont 'lock-up' on you, but then at close range in snaggy areas I'd rather know the rod will 'lock' than continue to 'give' under close-in pressure.

Then again, as said before, it is all a matter of personal preferrence and the 'feel' of a rod really.

P

pons

I am sure it was designed as short,match float rod for silvers,and light hooklinks,not a Carp or Barbel stooper in tight ,hit and hold.
On a recent feature on a small midlands river for TCF,Gareth Purnell was with us on the lens,and we borrowed this same rod from Gareth to fish the stick float for the "bits",in tight swims with loads of trees ,and it was a cracking,mellow little rod,and perfect for ther job.
Years ago we used to make dolly butts for 13ft Shakespeare Presidents,to utilise the top two sections as great little Canal float rods,the same as we used to make little wand ,lead rods for the same purpose.
Thinking about it,is this not the "puddle chucker" designed for commercials ,and match Carp.
Test curves are just a guide,and most rods ,including this ,can exert loads of pressure without tearing out small hooks,or sometimes bigger hooks,when catching bigger fish.
In the right scenario this is a superb little rod.
Pons.

W

Wolfman Woody

"With that Carp on Jeff, did you actually feel like you had control of the fish? "

No Peter, because as soon as I hooked it (at about 7 metres out) it went mental and shot back in to the bank before I could catch up the slack line onto the reel. It must have known these tree roots for that's exactly where it headed. I didn't stand a chance after that. (added - It also broke the tip off a new splasher float, boo-hoo!)

I would have thought that a tackle-tart like you, Peter (said in an admiring way), would have placed an order for one of these already.

You have it right there, Chris. The light test curve (to get the tip around to 90?) is ideal for playing small silvers, which is mostly what I've had on it, but when I have encountered small carp up to 3lbs, the extra strength in the middle has been useful. Perhaps in April/May I'll get to try it on bigger carp in more open water, then we'll really see how it performs.

For me though, already, it does everything I would want.

Reaction score
I managed to get a hold of the 2 piece version of this rod a few weeks ago and have since put it through it's paces. Having taken carp to 6lb and one just over 11lb it has a beautiful playing action and didn't lock up at all. I fully recommend this rod.
The 2 piece is a joy to use and it was used in quite a tight swim. It's great to find a rod that is just right especially as I use a powerchair and tend to like getting into swims which are not comfortable for the disabled angler.
Coupled with 6lb line it will bully good sized fish. A great bit of kit to have made up and ready to go.

Mark Elstone

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
this is my first time to comment on this forum so please be gentle ; )
Have recently started fishing again after a 15 year break,had purchased a cheap Leeda 2xl carp match float rod to start enjoying fishing again,the bug caught,I read what Jeff had to say about the Mini and decided to have a peep,I walked out of the shop with the 2 piece version with a huge smile on my face.
Hit into a carp yesterday,3lb maxima mainline to a size 14 B611,moments later the carp was in the net,weighing @just over 6lb,have to say the rod is stunning and will bend right to the butt.
I still have that smile and am quite confident that it will handle bigger fish.
The Leeda is up for sale by the way!

W

Wolfman Woody

Well done Mark, congratulations.

That's what the rod was designed for fish around the 6lbs mark although it would handle larger fish at a pinch. It's more for getting into tight swims than anything, but great fun to use anyway.

Reaction score
Nice rod Jeff, you know I like Preston stuff :)
You will have to show me it next time we meet up.

Mark Elstone

Reaction score
Cheers Woody,just wondering did you get JW laughing as you left the shop with the avon rod ; )

Bobby the Blank

Reaction score
For those of you whose pockets aren't as deep,
the Pro-Performance graphite pro margin match rod (35 quid) from WMAC is a little belter.

It's a 10 foot 3 piece rod with a lovely soft tip, but plenty of power lower down when needed. Plenty capable of taming carp up to double figures, but paradoxically also soft enough for fun with silvers.

At only 6oz it's light enough to hold all day.
It's pencil-slim and guides and finish are good too.In fact it's impossible to criticise at the price.

This rod is so much fun to use that I find myself using it in lieu of my other(much more expensive)float rods even in situations where common sense would dictate a switch.

I made the mistake of letting the kids use it and Holly says I can't have it back, so I may just have to buy a couple more.

This is quite probably the best kids float rod on the market bar none, and pretty bleedin' good for the grown-ups an' all.

I haven't had the privelege of using the Preston rod so unfortunately can't provide a comparison but I'm so pleased with this one that I'm unlikely to bother.

Mark Elstone

Reaction score
Feel theres a little contradiction there Bobby,you mention pockets being deep? well Im unemployed so mine are basically stitched at the top so I cant get my hands in,you then go on to say that Holly wont let you have yours back so you may buy a couple more??
Pro performance have had some good write ups and produce good rods for the money of that there is no doubt,its a case of we pay our money and take our choice!!

Bobby the Blank

Reaction score
Yeah,Mark,it does sound a bit like that,but when you can buy 3 of these for half the price of the Preston rod it kind of puts it in perspective don't you think?