Real nostalgia

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I recieved two 1970s copies of Coarse Fisherman today, thanks Merv.

On the front of one of them dated Feb 1976 is a picture of our MacWallet with not one, but two barbel! And shown in the picture is a keepnet!!!

What will be barbel police have to say about this.

On page 6,7 and 8 is a full blown profile of Richard Walker written by David Hall. In the interview **** says that the NFA is a load of crap and that it was time for all anglers in Britain to come out on strike so that the government would sit up and listen to what they wanted in terms of the conservation of rivers.

And in another issue, David Hall interviews Ray Webb at a Oxfordshire hospital for the mentally disturbed.

Fascinating stuff.

P

paul williams 2

I used to read every bit of the angling mags in those days......keepnets were a way of life to us.

L

Les Clark

Same here Paul but these days i don`t use either .

Ron ,can you put the Ray Webb interview up on line ?

P

paul williams 2

Nick.....i totally agree......as a youingster and even nowit can be part of the days enjoyment to see your catch at the end of a session..........responsible keepnet use is fine.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I'll scan it and send it to Graham.

I'm not sure about copyright on this though.

Nick, There are no less than two biographies of Walker coming out this year.

Keepnets were certainly a way of life to me too Brummie. I used to have a huge thing 3 feet in diameter by 10 feet long which I used for barbel.

And I still use keepnets today, mainly when I am roach fishing.

P

paul williams 2

I still use a keepnet Ron.....when fishing for silvers.

I just bury the ratties ;)

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Pleased you received them Ron, only posted them yesterday approx 3.30pm, Royal Mail ain't all bad.

Thought you'd enjoy the Richard Walker profile.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Good for you Brummie.

There is a load of crap spoken by the "Thy shalt not use a keepnet brigade". The more that some anglers want to ban perfectly legitate angling practices such as the use of keepnets, livebaiting or barbed hooks, etc, the more the wedge opens to ban angling.

In the 60s I also used to gaff my pike.

Gaffing pike correctly does probably less harm than netting!!

Wow, now I've opened a can of worms.

John Ledger (ACA)

Reaction score
Always use keepnet as you know Ron and always will plus i would not fish a place where they are banned.
I use microbarb hooks as well

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

The only fish I do not put in keepnets would be big tench, bream, barbel and pike.

The problem with barbel and nets is that dorsal spine with the serrations.

I caught a decnt barbel from the Severn years ago in June. It was absolutely whacked and try as I might I couldn't get it to swim away.

So I staked it out in my keepnet in some shallow fast water.

After about 15 minutes there came an almight splash from the net. The barbel had recovered and swam off strongly.

F

Frothey

After about 15 minutes there came an almight splash from the net. An otter had got in.

W

Wolfman Woody

Less asked - "Ron ,can you put the Ray Webb interview up on line?"

I think you'll find David Hall on your heels if you did!

Paul C

Reaction score
Good on you Mr Ledger.

People always quote instances of mis-use as justification for banning nets. If we considered other items of tackle that could be mis-used, it would be a long list.

I've said before that landing nets are more likely to cause damage, but no one calls for a ban on those for obvious reasons.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

You are actually right there Paul.

Even with my big "fish friendly" barbel net, I have had the meshes catch on occasion on the serrations of the front spine of a barbel's dorsal.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

I always use a keepnet where fishery rules allow their use. Unfortunately there are still keepnets and landing nets for sale and in use that are not fish friendly and I do feel that there should be some regulation with regard to length/depth, width and mesh size.