The best digital scale

dezza

Reaction score
I have a Fox digital scale, but to be honest they soon run out of battery and go haywire, and I worry about their accuracy.

So what is the best digital scale around?

What would make it the best for me would be the following features.

1: Small and light, able to fit into your pocket without any problems.

2: Weigh from 0 to ca 40lbs in imperial and metric units.

3: Having a solar panel like a calculator or a modern watch, or like my Seiko watch will charge up with a kinetic system. Most important it must be batteryless. Batteries run out!

4: Extreme accuracy, to milligrams and fractions of an ounce.

Any ideas Peeps?

Simon K

Reaction score
Milligrams Ron?

What are you weighing? :eek::wh;)

And how much are you selling it for? :D

sam vimes

Reaction score
Nice specs but I've got a horrible feeling that nothing exists. If they did exist then I suspect that they'd cost more than anyone would be prepared to pay.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Recently, a friend caught a nice tench of 5Ib12oz at a lake (his first tench). Incredibly, the same fish (recognisable by unusual mouth damage and a distinctive area of scales) is shown on the club website having been caught just five days previously ...but at 7Ib 7oz!!

Having seen the fish at first hand 5Ib 12oz was about right.

Cant comment on accuracy of particular scales as i dont know what produced the heavier weight.

When i look back at old fish photos from years back i have a sneaking suspicion that many of my fish weighed in the 1980s on Little Samson scales were undercooked - looking bigger now than the weights i recorded at the time.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Forget the digis - Can’t beat the Ruben Heaton Flyweight Mk 2 for all small fish under 40lb;).
Jerry

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
The best digital scales? The ones with the single digit indicator, dial spring balance ;)

As Ive mentioned on other threads I used to service/repair digital scales (far more expensive than the fishing type) and they were always going out of spec, especially when subjected to constant movement - very similar to a live fish hanging from them.

Last edited:

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
This'll do most of your fishing,very reliable,and I'm still on the original battery after 5 years Salter Brecknell ElectroSamson Digital Balance - 25 kg / 55 lb With Luxury Pouch ,but I don't know how you'll weigh the minnows,it only measures to 10 gm.
Ian

-----

Have to concure with Ian on the above scale.

Very Accurate, long Battery Life.

----

And if Weight is really important to you, check your Spring type scales againgst a given weight.

The Specimen Group I'm involved with asked it's members to check their spring scales, most of them found the Scales weighed LIGHT ?

One or two members found the Spring Scales weighed Heavy.

:mad:

Bob

mike90

Reaction score
we have 400 units of “Fish Weighing Scales” They are new and we guaranteed that no unit is damaged.

More Information

Brand: Reuben Heaton, FlyWeight MK2
Stock: 400 Scales
Price: 4$ to 5.11$
Capacity: 14 KG
Color: White
Comes complete with protective pouch
Slim pocket size

We ship the stock from United Kingdom.
Important: Price is negotiable on the purchase of 100 + Units
For more details watch video

[links removed - for commercial adverts please contact the Sales Team here on FM via the buttons at the top of the page]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D7J1oTdy1Q

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I have my scales checked by weights and measures every couple of years, the reason is simple, i want to know they are correct.

I have the Flyweights, and the a set of 60lb x 1oz, both weigh bang on.

Digi scales ? never. I have tested a number, and found the same with them all, new battery fine, a lightly used battery, they weigh wrong, an old battery, miles out. But the same batteries in different scales and you get different readings from them all, Fox were the worst.

I also have a set of the Avons which weigh 1oz light, tested by weights and measures, their verdict, great spring scales, as they still weigh the same now as they did when first bought almost 30 years ago.

That says it all.

terry m

Reaction score
I have a set of Rapala 55lb x 1oz digitals. Lightweight, backlit, long battery life, reliable and accurate.

The one real disadvantage of digital scales in my experience is the propensity for the readout to jump about a bit. That can be completely overcome by using a weighing crook, especially on larger fish.

I have to confess that I still have my Avons for winter piking.

symonh2000

Reaction score
Well they were accrate weighing a few bags of sugar and rice up to a total of about 10Kg.

I didn't have any more stuff to hang onto them which I knew the weight of.

nicepix

Reaction score
I've largely stopped taking mine every time.

I have a Rapala electronic scale and the problem with it is that it has one of those new-fangled on / off switches that allows a small current to pass through it all the time resulting in a discharged battery every few months. I tried removing the battery but it is too much of a faff to put it back in when a fish is on the bank so now I generally don't bother.

If I get another set it will be a spring balance.